Reform der kommunalen Finanzbeziehungen: Kommunale Umsatzsteuerbeteiligung unter Gewerbesteuer-Wettbewerbselementen
AbstractThe Business tax in Germany (German: Gewerbesteuer) has remained a continuous problem in spite of the recent economic boom. There has been a dramatic resurgence of populist voices calling for the abolition of the German Business tax. Regardless of these debates, the structural deficits of the business tax are undeniable. As one of the main sources of tax revenues for German local authority it is subject to tremendous economic cycle volatility, because it is widely perceived as being a tax on profit. A further problem is that many other problems concerning tax-based deficiencies within the German Business tax law are arising. Consequently, the number of business enterprises actually paying the business tax is negligible. A serious consequence of all these deficits is that the allocation of public investments becomes extremely hindered. For this reason a completely unique plan for reforming the recent local fiscal relationships is presented in this paper. It explicitly argues for the preservation of the German Business tax while nevertheless sustainable stabilising the revenues of German local authorities by means of allowing them a share of the German Value-added tax (German: Umsatzsteuer). This share is distributed to local authorities by their individual share of local revenues of German business tax and total tax revenues of Business taxation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Financial relationships; German fiscal federalism; business taxation; German taxation system;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
- H61 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Budget; Budget Systems
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schön, Wolfgang & Schreiber, Ulrich & Spengel, Christoph & Wiegard, Wolfgang, 2006. "Reform der Einkommens- und Unternehmensbesteuerung durch die duale Einkommensteuer," Wirtschaftsdienst – Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftspolitik (1998 - 2007), ZBW – German National Library of Economics / Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, vol. 86(3), pages 147-151.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.