Typisierung der Tarifvertragslandschaft, Eine Clusteranalyse der tarifvertraglichen Oeffnungsklauseln
AbstractThe introduction of opening causes in collective wage agreements allowing firms to deviate from their collective bargaining agreements has become widely accepted for the last fifteen years. With respect to the flexibility agreed through collective bargaining, the distinctions between single collective bargaining areas of the same industry have increased. Hence, the economic idea of uniform industry-wide central collective bargaining agreements is no longer tenable. The data set of the IAW used in this article provides differentiated information about opening clauses in collective wage agreements. By means of correspondence and cluster analysis, seven groups of collective bargaining areas are identified, which differ in the type of opening clauses introduced. Over the period from 1991 until 2004, the examination of dynamic aspects to these seven groups exhibits typical paths of development towards an improved flexibility agreed through collective bargaining. Furthermore, the conjunction of the data set with the German Structure of Earnings Survey of the years 1995 and 2001 makes it possible to show the relevance of the different types of single collective bargaining areas for employment and industries of the German manufacturing sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Opening clauses; collective bargaining agreements; cluster analysis; correspondence analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach & Stefanie Schröpfer, 2007. "Typisierung der Tarifvertragslandschaft. Eine Clusteranalyse der tarifvertraglichen Öffnungsklauseln," IAW Discussion Papers 28, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Büttner, Thiess & Fitzenberger, Bernd, 1998. "Central wage bargaining and local wage flexibility: evidence from the entire wage distribution," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-39, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Franz & Friedhelm Pfeiffer, 2006.
"Reasons for Wage Rigidity in Germany,"
CEIS, vol. 20(2), pages 255-284, 06.
- Wolf Heinbach, 2007. "Wages in wage-setting regimes with opening clauses," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 233-245, December.
- Michael Greenacre, 1988. "Clustering the rows and columns of a contingency table," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Franz, Wolfgang & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm, 2001. "Tarifbindung und die ökonomische Rationalität von Lohnrigiditäten," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-01, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Franz, Wolfgang, 1999. "Der Flächentarifvertrag: Eine kritische Würdigung aus ökonomischer Sicht," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-57, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Gesine Stephan & Knut Gerlach, 2005. "Wage settlements and wage setting: results from a multi-level model," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(20), pages 2297-2306.
- repec:dar:vpaper:25659 is not listed on IDEAS
- Franz, Wolfgang & Gutzeit, Martin & Lessner, Jan & Oechsler, Walter A. & Pfeiffer, Friedhelm & Reichmann, Lars & Rieble, Volker & Roll, Jochen, 2000. "Flexibilisierung der Arbeitsentgelte und Beschäftigungseffekte: Ergebnisse einer Unternehmensbefragung," ZEW Dokumentationen 00-09, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Olga Bohachova & Bernhard Boockmann & Claudia M. Buch, 2011.
"Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3625, CESifo Group Munich.
- Olga Bohachova & Bernhard Boockmann & Claudia M. Buch, 2011. "Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?," IAW Discussion Papers 76, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Bohachova, Olga & Boockmann, Bernhard & Buch, Claudia M., 2011. "Labor Demand During the Crisis: What Happened in Germany?," IZA Discussion Papers 6074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Brändle, Tobias & Heinbach, Wolf Dieter & Maier, Michael F., 2011. "Tarifliche Öffnung in Deutschland: Ausmaß, Determinanten, Auswirkungen (Flexibilisation in the German system of wage bargaining: extent, determinants, impacts)," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 44(1/2), pages 163-172.
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach & Stefanie Schröpfer, 2007.
"What a Difference Trade Makes - Export Activity and the Flexibility of Collective Bargaining Agreements,"
Diskussionspapiere aus dem Institut fÃ¼r Volkswirtschaftslehre der UniversitÃ¤t Hohenheim
293/2007, Department of Economics, University of Hohenheim, Germany.
- Heinbach, Wolf Dieter & Schröpfer, Stefanie, 2008. "What a difference trade makes: Export activity and the flexibility of collective bargaining agreements," Zeitschrift für ArbeitsmarktForschung - Journal for Labour Market Research, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany], vol. 41(2/3), pages 287-303.
- Wolf Dieter Heinbach & Stefanie Schröpfer, 2007. "What a Difference Trade Makes - Export Activity and the Flexibility of Collective Bargaining Agreements," IAW Discussion Papers 35, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.