Produktdiversifizierung: Konvergenz zwischen ost- und westdeutschen Unternehmen, Eine Dekomposition mit Mikrodaten der amtlichen Statistik
AbstractIn the afermath of Germany's reunification, redesigning their product range was a major challenge for East-German enterprises. At the same time, there were growing signs that Western enterprises reacted to globalization and European integration by increasingly pursuing strategies of specialization. Using representative micro data from Germany's system of register based, official firm surveys, this paper studies how manufacturing enterprises from both parts of the country reshaped their product policies in recent years. Our analysis reveals a common trend towards greater specialization during the period from 1995 to 2001. This process of focusing on their core competencies and reducing their range of products was more pronounced in the East - most likely as a result of the increased integration of Eastern firms into international markets. We apply a nonparametric decomposition that yields estimates of the structural and regional components of the West-East gap. We find that in 2001 no significant gap remains among Eastern and Western enterprises of a similar, comparable type. However, there still exist pronounced structural differences. In particular, in 2001 East Germany is still lacking the large firms in many industries that push up the level of West German product diversification and economic performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 227 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Product diversification; decomposition; nonparametric regression;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P23 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - Factor and Product Markets; Industry Studies; Population
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- George J. Stigler, 1951. "The Division of Labor is Limited by the Extent of the Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59, pages 185.
- Bernd Gorzig & Martin Gornig & Axel Werwatz, 2005. "Explaining Eastern Germany's Wage Gap: The Impact of Structural Change," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 449-464.
- Werner Smolny, 2003. "Determinants of innovation behaviour and investment estimates for west-german manufacturing firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(5), pages 449-463.
- Heike Belitz & Frank Fleischer & Andreas Stephan, 2001. "Staatliche Förderung von Forschung und Entwicklung in der ostdeutschen Wirtschaft: eine Bilanz," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 68(35), pages 537-544.
- Fan, Joseph P H & Lang, Larry H P, 2000. "The Measurement of Relatedness: An Application to Corporate Diversification," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 629-60, October.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993.
"Endogenous, Innovation in the Theory of Growth,"
165, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Michael Gort, 1962. "Diversification and Integration in American Industry," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number gort62-1, May.
- Joachim Ragnitz, 2013. "Konvergenz von Wirtschaftsräumen – Eine Illusion?," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 20(01), pages 03-04, 02.
- Dirk Czarnitzki, 2005. "The Extent and Evolution of Productivity Deficiency in Eastern Germany," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 211-231, October.
- Hughes Hallett, Andrew & Ma, Yue, 1992. "East Germany, West Germany, and their Mezzogiorno Problem: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers 623, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nopo, Hugo, 2004.
"Matching as a Tool to Decompose Wage Gaps,"
IZA Discussion Papers
981, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1979. "Transaction-Cost Economics: The Governance of Contractural Relations," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(2), pages 233-61, October.
- Dennis J. Snower & Christian Merkl, 2006.
"The Caring Hand that Cripples: The East German Labor Market after Reunification,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(2), pages 375-382, May.
- Merkl, Christian & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "The Caring Hand that Cripples: The East German Labour Market after Reunification," CEPR Discussion Papers 5656, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matsusaka, John G, 2001. "Corporate Diversification, Value Maximization, and Organizational Capabilities," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(3), pages 409-31, July.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-93, June.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Ernest H. Hall Jr., 1995. "Corporate Diversification and Perfor Mance: An Investigation of Causality," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 20(1), pages 25-42, June.
- Sebastian Petrick & Katrin Rehdanz & Ulrich J. Wagner, 2011. "Energy Use Patterns in German Industry: Evidence from Plant-level Data," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 231(3), pages 379-414, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2008.
"Produktdifferenzierung in deutschen Industrieunternehmen 1995 – 2004: Ausmaß und Bestimmungsgründe,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
99, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Joachim Wagner, 2009. "Produktdifferenzierung in deutschen Industrieunternehmen 1995 – 2004: Ausmaß und Bestimmungsgründe," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(5), pages 615-642, October.
- Bernd Görzig & Martin Gornig & Axel Werwatz, 2007. "Produktvielfalt und Produktivität der IKT-Produzenten:Eine Analyse unter Nutzung verbundener amtlicher Unternehmensdaten," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 145-161, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.