Kooperation zwischen Betriebsrat und Management, Die Sicht beider Seiten und deren Folgen
AbstractThere are different kinds of works councils. They can be cooperative or antagonistic for example. There are also different kinds of management. The managers can be friendly or unfriendly to the workers and the works council representing them. Here the mutual relationship between works council and management is analysed. To this end two data sets are connected, the NIFA-Panel with information about mechanical engineering plants in Germany given by the management and the Bochumer survey of works councils in some of these plants. A new typology of the relationship between the works council and the managers of a firm is derived from these combined data. The effects of a positive, neutral or negative relationship on different turnover rates, product innovations and earnings fo the firms are empirically analysed. The results are in accordance with prior studies using only separated data for works councils or management. Concretely, turnover and earnings are mostly lower and innovations more probable as long as any kind of works council exists. The kind of relationship influences the magnitudes of these effects and their statistical significance. A positive relationship reduces the departure rate most of all, a negative relationship has the strongest effect on innovations and, unexpectedly, an inconsistent relationship is best for earnings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics in its journal Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 226 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Licher Straße 74, 35394 Gießen
Phone: +49 (0)641 99 22 001
Fax: +49 (0)641 99 22 009
Web page: http://wiwi.uni-giessen.de/home/oekonometrie/Jahrbuecher/
More information through EDIRC
Co-determination; cooperation; industrial relations; labour-management relations; works council;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J53 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Labor-Management Relations; Industrial Jurisprudence
- M54 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Personnel Economics - - - Labor Management
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Addison, John T & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 1996. "German Works Councils, Profits, and Innovation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 555-82.
- Addison, John T. & Bellmann, Lutz & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002.
"German Works Councils Old and New: Incidence, Coverage and Determinants,"
IZA Discussion Papers
495, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Addison, John T. & Bellmann, Lutz & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2002. "German works councils old and new: incidence, coverage and determinants," Discussion Papers 10, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- John Addison & Stanley Siebert & Joachim Wagner & Xiangdong Wei, 2000. "Worker Participation and Firm Performance: Evidence from Germany and Britain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 38(1), pages 7-48, 03.
- Addison, John T. & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2000. "Die mitbestimmungsfreie Zone aus ökonomischer Sicht," Discussion Papers 1, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2009.
"Die Wirkung des Betriebsverfassungsgesetzes am Beispiel der Freistellung von Betriebsräten – ein Beitrag zur Rechtstatsachenforschung,"
0104, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Jens Mohrenweiser & Uschi Backes-Gellner, 2010. "Die Wirkung des Betriebsverfassungsgesetzes am Beispiel der Freistellung von Betriebsräten - ein Beitrag zur Rechtstatsachenforschung," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(4), pages 420-435, August.
- Christian Pfeifer, 2011.
"The Heterogeneous Economic Consequences of Works Council Relations,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 131(1), pages 59-71.
- Pfeifer, Christian, 2011. "The Heterogeneous Economic Consequences of Works Council Relations," IZA Discussion Papers 5672, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Christian Pfeifer, 2011. "The Heterogeneous Economic Consequences of Works Council Relations," Working Paper Series in Economics 203, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Gralla, Rafael & Kraft, Kornelius, 2012. "Higher Wages, Overstaffing or Both? The Employer's Assessment of Problems Regarding Wage Costs and Staff Level in Co-Determined Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 7021, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Winker).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.