Per-capita income versus household-need adjusted income: a cross-country comparison
AbstractWe use data from the Luxembourg Income Study in order to quantify the economy-wide monetary gains achieved by Household-Size Economies, due to the within-household sharing of goods by individuals living in multi-member households. In most of the twenty countries we examine, we observe a decline in monetary gains achieved by Household-Size Economies over time. This decline is the result of a demographic trend towards smaller-sized household units, rather than a change in the shares of aggregate disposable income earned by household types of different size.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Journal of Income Distribution in its journal Journal of Income Distribution.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3-4 (September-December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: York Hall 327, 2275 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M4N 3M6
Web page: http://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/jid/index
More information through EDIRC
equivalence scale; welfare; demographic change; Luxembourg Income Study; household size economies; income distribution; family economics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- J11 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Demographic Trends, Macroeconomic Effects, and Forecasts
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Carolina Achury & Sylwia Hubar & Christos Koulovatianos, 2012.
"Saving Rates and Portfolio Choice with Subsistence Consumption,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 15(1), pages 108-126, January.
- Carolina Achury & Sylwia Hubar & Christos Koulovatianos, 2011. "Online Appendix to "Saving Rates and Portfolio Choice with Subsistence Consumption"," Technical Appendices 10-11, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Carolina Achury & Sylwia Hubar & Christos Koulovatianos, 2011. "Code and data files for "Saving Rates and Portfolio Choice with Subsistence Consumption"," Computer Codes 10-11, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Carolina Achury & Sylwia Hubar & Christos Koulovatianos, . "Saving Rates and Portfolio Choice with Subsistence Consumption," Discussion Papers 10/01, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Achury, Carolina & Hubar, Sylwia & Koulovatianos, Christos, 2011. "Saving rates and portfolio choice with subsistence consumption," CFS Working Paper Series 2011/06, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benjamin Nicholls).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.