The Role Of Financial Development On Income Inequality In Malaysia
AbstractThis study examines the role of financial development in influencing income inequality in Malaysia over the period of 1980-2000. The empirical results based on ARDL bounds test indicate that financial market development is, at best, very weak and statistically insignificant in reducing income inequality in Malaysia. The evidence is valid for a variety of financial indicators, including the banking sector, the stock market and financial aggregate variables. The evidence also highlights that besides various government¡¯s development programs, efforts should also concentrate on improving institutional quality, economic development and maintaining low inflation in its attempt to combat income inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 34 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Banking Sector; Capital Market; Financial Development; Income Inequality; ARDL Bounds Test;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oded Galor & Joseph Zeira, 2013.
"Income Distribution and Macroeconomics,"
2013-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 2009. "Globalization and financial development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 164-169, July.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the emergence of the rule of law in post-communist societies,"
0203-03, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2004. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 753-763, June.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the emergence of the rule of law in post-communist societies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2934, The World Bank.
- Karla Hoff & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002. "After the Big Bang? Obstacles to the Emergence of the Rule of Law in Post-Communist Societies," NBER Working Papers 9282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chong, Alberto & Gradstein, Mark, 2004.
"Inequality and Institutions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4739, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V & Newman, Andrew F, 1993.
"Occupational Choice and the Process of Development,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 274-98, April.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee & Andrew F. Newman, 1990. "Occupational Choice and the Process of Development," Discussion Papers 911, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006.
"Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99,"
26, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_055, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Manoel F. Meyer Bittencourt, 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/582, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Meyer Bittencourt, Manoel F., 2006. "Financial Development and Inequality: Brazil 1985-99," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 5, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2003.
"Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights,"
w0022, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Sonin, Konstantin, 2003. "Why the rich may favor poor protection of property rights," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 715-731, December.
- Konstantin Sonin, 2002. "Why the Rich May Favor Poor Protection of Property Rights," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 544, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- George R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2011.
"Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?,"
CEMA Working Papers
489, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Georg R. G. Clarke & Lixin Colin Xu & Heng-fu Zou, 2006. "Finance and Income Inequality: What Do the Data Tell Us?," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 578-596, January.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Tiwari, Aviral & Reza, Sherafatian-Jahromi, 2012. "Financial Development and Income Inequality: Is there any Financial Kuznets curve in Iran?," MPRA Paper 40899, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 26 Aug 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.