Long-Run Pass-Through From The Exchange Rate To Import Prices In African Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the extent of pass-through from the nominal exchange rate to import prices for a sample of nineteen African countries. The methodology is based on panel data cointegration testing. Using annual data extending back to 1971, long-run pass-through can be best described as a fairly balanced combination of local-currency and producer-currency pricing. However, this paper offers additional insight from a moving window approach that indicates declining long-run pass-through, accompanied by decreasing inflation, occurring since the mid-1990s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Exchange Rate Pass-Through; Panel Cointegration; Africa;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F49 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh & Hamidou Mohamed Cheik, 2013.
"A panel cointegration analysis of the exchange rate pass-through,"
AccessEcon, vol. 33(4), pages 2778-2790.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine & Mohamed Cheik, Hamidou, 2013. "A Panel Cointegration Analysis of the Exchange Rate Pass-Through," MPRA Paper 49991, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nidhaleddine Ben cheikh, 2012.
"Long-run exchange rate pass-through: evidence from new panel data techniques,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages A24.
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh, 2012. "Long Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through: Evidence from New Panel Data Techniques," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201225, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Ben Cheikh, Nidhaleddine, 2011. "Long run exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from new panel data techniques," MPRA Paper 39663, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nidhaleddine Ben Cheikh, 2012. "Long Run Exchange Rate Pass-Through: A Panel Cointegration Approach," FIW Working Paper series 078, FIW.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyttack Hong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.