A Reexamination Of South Korea¡¯S Aggregate Import Demand Function: The Bounds Test Analysis
AbstractThis paper uses a robust estimation method referred to as the unrestricted error correction model - the bounds test analysis to re-analyze the long-term relationships between the demand for imports and it¡¯s determinants for South Korea over the period 1980-2000. Our results show that the volume of imports, income, and relative prices are all cointegrated. The estimated long-run (short-run) elasticities of import demand with respect to income and relative price are 1.86 (0.86) and -0.2 (-0.05), respectively. The major implication of our study is that neither monetary nor fiscal policies may be used as instruments to maintain the trade balance in South Korea¡¯s favor during this sample period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 30 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Aggregate Import Demand Function; UECM; Bounds Test Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Farley, John U. & Hinich, Melvin & McGuire, Timothy W., 1975. "Some comparisons of tests for a shift in the slopes of a multivariate linear time series model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 297-318, August.
- Tuck Cheong Tang & Mahendhiran Nair, 2002. "A cointegration analysis of Malaysian import demand function: reassessment from the bounds test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 293-296.
- Bardsen, G., 1988. "On The Estimation Of Long Run Coefficients In Error Correction Models," Papers 03-88, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Tuck Cheong Tang, 2008. "Aggregate Import Demand Function for Japan: A Cointegration Re-investigation," Global Economic Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 363-377.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Costas Milas, 1998. "Demand for Greek imports using multivariate cointegration techniques," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1483-1492.
- Dipendra Sinha, 1997. "Determinants of Import Demand in Thailand," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 11(4), pages 73-873.
- Dilip Dutta & Nasiruddin Ahmed, 1999. "An aggregate import demand function for Bangladesh: a cointegration approach," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 465-472.
- Bardsen, Gunnar, 1989. "Estimation of Long Run Coefficients in Error Correction Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 51(3), pages 345-50, August.
- Salas, Javier, 1982. "Estimation of the structure and elasticities of Mexican imports in the period 1961-1979," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 297-311, June.
- Zhang, Biao & Zhang, Dongxiang & Wang, Juan & Huang, Xiashuai, 2013. "Does Venture Capital Spur Economic Growth? Evidence from Israel," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 115-128, June.
- Akinlo, A.E., 2008. "Energy consumption and economic growth: Evidence from 11 Sub-Sahara African countries," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2391-2400, September.
- Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2012. "An Error-Correction Analysis Of India-Us Trade Flows," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 37(1), pages 29-51, March.
- Santiago Grullón, 2012. "A Co-integration Analysis of the Dominican Republic‘s Aggregate Import Demand Function under a Floating Exchange Rate Regime," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(2), pages 282-289, June.
- Ioanna C. Bardakas, 2013. "The asymmetric effect of income on import demand in Greece," Working Papers 159, Bank of Greece.
- M. Adetunji Babatunde & Festus O. Egwaikhide, 2010. "Explaining Nigeria's import demand behaviour: a bound testing approach," International Journal of Development Issues, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 167-187, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyttack Hong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.