Exploiting moral wiggle room: Illusory preference for fairness? A comment
AbstractWe designed an experiment to test the robustness of Dana, Weber, and Kuang's (DWK), 2007 results. DWK observed that, when participants were given a ``costless'' way --- the click of a button --- to ignore the consequences of their actions on others' payoffs, they chose to remain ignorant and fair behavior diminished. By implementing a double-blind experiment together with a design that controls for alternative explanations for the observed behavior, we confirmed DWK's findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Judgment and Decision Making in its journal Judgment and Decision Making.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (October)
Contact details of provider:
dictator games; experiments; fairness; strategic ignorance.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013.
"Do Markets Erode Social Responsibility?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4491, CESifo Group Munich.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013. "Do markets erode social responsibility?," UBSCENTER - Working Papers 006, UBS International Center of Economics in Society - Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013. "Do markets erode social responsibility?," ECON - Working Papers 134, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised May 2014.
- Grossman, Zachary & van der Weele, JoÃ«l, 2013. "Self-Image and Strategic Ignorance in Moral Dilemmas," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0bp6z29t, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Jacobsen, Karin J. & Eika, Kari H. & Helland, Leif & Lind, Jo Thori & Nyborg, Karine, 2011.
"Are nurses more altruistic than real estate brokers?,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 818-831.
- Jacobsen, Karin & H. Eika, Kari & Helland, Leif & Thori Lind, Jo & Nyborg, Karine, 2011. "Are nurses more altruistic than real estate brokers?," Memorandum 09/2011, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Jacobsen, Karin & Eika, Kari H. & Helland, Leif & Lind, Jo Thori & Nyborg, Karine, 2011. "Are Nurses More Altruistic than Real Estate Brokers?," IZA Discussion Papers 5721, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nyborg, Karine, 2008.
"I Don't Want to Hear About it: Rational Ignorance among Duty-Oriented Consumers,"
15/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2011. "I don't want to hear about it: Rational ignorance among duty-oriented consumers," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 263-274, August.
- Aldo Rustichini & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2012.
"Moral Hypocrisy, Power and Social Preferences,"
1216, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Cueva, Carlos & Dessi, Roberta, 2012. "Charitable Giving, Self-Image and Personality," IDEI Working Papers 748, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Ploner, Matteo & Regner, Tobias, 2013.
"Self-image and moral balancing: An experimental analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 374-383.
- Matteo. Ploner & Tobias Regner, 2013. "Self-Image and Moral Balancing - An Experimental Analysis," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-002, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Ismael Rodriguez-Lara, 2013. "An Experimental Study of Gender Differences in Distributive Justice," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0213, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Conrads, Julian & Irlenbusch, Bernd, 2011. "Strategic Ignorance in Bargaining," IZA Discussion Papers 6087, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Agne Kajackaite, 2014. "If I close my eyes, nobody will get hurt. The effect of ignorance on performance in a real effort experiment," Cologne Graduate School Working Paper Series 05-03, Cologne Graduate School in Management, Economics and Social Sciences.
- Catherine C. Eckel & Ragan Petrie, 2008.
Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series
2008-11, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Thunström, Linda & van 't Veld, Klaas & Shogren, Jason F. & Nordström, Jonas, 2013. "On Strategic Ignorance of Environmental Harm and Social Norms," Working Papers 2013:22, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Cueva, Carlos & Dessi, Roberta, 2012. "Charitable Giving, Self-Image and Personality," TSE Working Papers 12-342, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Schütte, Miriam & Thoma, Carmen, 2014. "Promises and Image Concerns," Discussion Papers in Economics 20861, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Baron).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.