Exploiting moral wiggle room: Illusory preference for fairness? A comment
AbstractWe designed an experiment to test the robustness of Dana, Weber, and Kuang's (DWK), 2007 results. DWK observed that, when participants were given a ``costless'' way --- the click of a button --- to ignore the consequences of their actions on others' payoffs, they chose to remain ignorant and fair behavior diminished. By implementing a double-blind experiment together with a design that controls for alternative explanations for the observed behavior, we confirmed DWK's findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Judgment and Decision Making in its journal Judgment and Decision Making.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (October)
Contact details of provider:
dictator games; experiments; fairness; strategic ignorance.;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cueva, Carlos & Dessi, Roberta, 2012. "Charitable Giving, Self-Image and Personality," IDEI Working Papers 748, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013.
"Do markets erode social responsibility?,"
ECON - Working Papers
134, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013. "Do Markets Erode Social Responsibility?," CESifo Working Paper Series 4491, CESifo Group Munich.
- Björn Bartling & Roberto A. Weber, 2013. "Do markets erode social responsibility?," UBSCENTER - Working Papers 006, UBS International Center of Economics in Society - Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Jacobsen, Karin & Eika, Kari H. & Helland, Leif & Lind, Jo Thori & Nyborg, Karine, 2011.
"Are Nurses More Altruistic than Real Estate Brokers?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5721, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jacobsen, Karin J. & Eika, Kari H. & Helland, Leif & Lind, Jo Thori & Nyborg, Karine, 2011. "Are nurses more altruistic than real estate brokers?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 818-831.
- Jacobsen, Karin & H. Eika, Kari & Helland, Leif & Thori Lind, Jo & Nyborg, Karine, 2011. "Are nurses more altruistic than real estate brokers?," Memorandum 09/2011, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Zachary & van der Weele, JoÃ«l, 2013. "Self-Image and Strategic Ignorance in Moral Dilemmas," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0bp6z29t, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Conrads, Julian & Irlenbusch, Bernd, 2011. "Strategic Ignorance in Bargaining," IZA Discussion Papers 6087, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nyborg, Karine, 2011.
"I don't want to hear about it: Rational ignorance among duty-oriented consumers,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 263-274, August.
- Nyborg, Karine, 2008. "I Don't Want to Hear About it: Rational Ignorance among Duty-Oriented Consumers," Memorandum 15/2008, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Catherine C. Eckel & Ragan Petrie, 2008.
Experimental Economics Center Working Paper Series
2008-11, Experimental Economics Center, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Aldo Rustichini & Marie-Claire Villeval, 2012.
"Moral Hypocrisy, Power and Social Preferences,"
1216, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Cueva, Carlos & Dessi, Roberta, 2012. "Charitable Giving, Self-Image and Personality," TSE Working Papers 12-342, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Ploner, Matteo & Regner, Tobias, 2013.
"Self-image and moral balancing: An experimental analysis,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 93(C), pages 374-383.
- Matteo. Ploner & Tobias Regner, 2013. "Self-Image and Moral Balancing - An Experimental Analysis," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-002, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Ismael Rodriguez-Lara, 2013. "An Experimental Study of Gender Differences in Distributive Justice," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0213, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- Thunström, Linda & van 't Veld, Klaas & Shogren, Jason F. & Nordström, Jonas, 2013. "On Strategic Ignorance of Environmental Harm and Social Norms," Working Papers 2013:22, Lund University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Baron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.