The Linear Quadratic Adjustment Cost Model and the Demand for Labour
AbstractIn this paper we demonstrate a new way of testing the linear quadratic adjustment cost (LQAC) model under rational expectations. We illustrate how the parameter restrictions arising from this model can be formally specified and we use these restrictions to extend the technique of Campbell and Shiller (1987) to a wider class of models based on present value relations. Potentially the demand for labour is an area in which the LQAC model can find applicability in practice and subsequently we analyse sectoral labour demand in Danish manufacturing. We find, however, that for our data set the quadratic adjustment cost model under rational expectations can be rejected. Copyright 1994 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): S (Suppl. December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johansen, Soren & Swensen, Anders Rygh, 1999. "Testing exact rational expectations in cointegrated vector autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 73-91, November.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2007.
"Present Value Relations, Granger Noncausality, And Var Stability,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(06), pages 1254-1260, December.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2006. "Present value relations, Granger non-causality and VAR stability," MPRA Paper 1642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ingvild Svendsen, 1998. "Rational Expectations in Price Setting. Tests Based on Norwegian Export Prices," Discussion Papers 226, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Pål Boug, 1999. "The Demand for Labour and the Lucas Critique. Evidence from Norwegian Manufacturing," Discussion Papers 256, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Engsted, Tom, 2002. " Measures of Fit for Rational Expectations Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 301-55, July.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2002. "A new approach for estimating and testing the linear quadratic adjustment cost model under rational expectations and I(1) variables," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 117-139, January.
- Paul Mizen & Anindya Banerjee, 2006.
"A re-interpretation of the linear quadratic model when inventories and sales are polynomially cointegrated,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(8), pages 1249-1264.
- Anindya BANERJEE & Paul MIZEN, 2003. "A Re-interpretation of the Linear-Quadratic Model When Inventories and Sales are Polynomially Cointegrated," Economics Working Papers ECO2003/11, European University Institute.
- Pål Boug & Ådne Cappelen & Anders R. Swensen, 2000. "Expectations in Export Price Formation Tests using Cointegrated VAR Models," Discussion Papers 283, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Matteo Manera, 2006.
"Modelling factor demands with SEM and VAR: an empirical comparison,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 121-146, October.
- Matteo Manera, 2005. "Modeling Factor Demands with SEM and VAR: An Empirical Comparison," Working Papers 2005.47, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gil-Alana, L.A., 2008. "Testing of seasonal integration and cointegration with fractionally integrated techniques: An application to the Danish labour demand," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 326-339, March.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2006. "Multi-equational linear quadratic adjustment cost models with rational expectations and cointegration," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 445-456, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.