Aggregate Shocks and Macroeconomic Fluctuations: A Bayesian Approach
AbstractThis paper describes Bayesian techniques for analysing the effects of aggregate shocks on macroeconomic time-series. Rather than calculate point estimates of the response of a time-series to an aggregate shock, we calculate the whole probability density function of the response and use Monte-Carlo or Gibbs sampling techniques to evaluate its properties. The proposed techniques impose identification restrictions in a way that includes the uncertainty in these restrictions, and thus are an improvement over traditional approaches that typically use least-squares techniques supplemented by bootstrapping. We apply these techniques in the context of two different models. A key finding is that measures of uncertainty, such as posterior standard deviations, are much larger than are their classical counterparts. Copyright 1992 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 7 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (Oct.-Dec.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Waggoner, Daniel F. & Zha, Tao, 2003. "A Gibbs sampler for structural vector autoregressions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 349-366, November.
- Christopher A. Sims & Tao Zha, 1994.
"Error Bands for Impulse Responses,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1085, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2001.
"Forecasting and Turning Point Predictions in a Bayesian Panel VAR Model,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2961, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Canova, Fabio & Ciccarelli, Matteo, 2004. "Forecasting and turning point predictions in a Bayesian panel VAR model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 327-359, June.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 1999. "Forecasting and turning point predictions in a Bayesian panel VAR model," Economics Working Papers 443, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fabio Canova & Matteo Ciccarelli, 2000. "Forecasting And Turning Point Predictions In A Bayesian Panel Var Model," Working Papers. Serie AD 2000-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2009.
"Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics,"
20125, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Koop, Gary & Korobilis, Dimitris, 2010. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 3(4), pages 267-358, July.
- Gary Koop & Dimitris Korobilis, 2009. "Bayesian Multivariate Time Series Methods for Empirical Macroeconomics," Working Paper Series 47_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Lopes, Hedibert Freitas & Moreira, Ajax R. Bello & Schmidt, Alexandra Mello, 1999. "Hyperparameter estimation in forecast models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 387-410, February.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Alessandro Rebucci, 2003. "Bayesian Vars," IMF Working Papers 03/102, International Monetary Fund.
- Lanne, Markku & Lütkepohl, Helmut & Maciejowska, Katarzyna, 2010.
"Structural vector autoregressions with Markov switching,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 121-131, February.
- Markku Lanne & Helmut Luetkepohl & Katarzyna Maciejowska, 2009. "Structural Vector Autoregressions with Markov Switching," Economics Working Papers ECO2009/06, European University Institute.
- Juan José Echavarría & Enrique López & Sergio Ocampo & Norberto Rodríguez, 2011.
"Choques, instituciones laborales y desempleo en Colombia,"
ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA,
BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Juan José Echavarría & Enrique López & Sergio Ocampo & Norberto Rodríguez, 2011. "Choques, instituciones laborales y desempleo en Colombia," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009154, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Juan José Echavarría & Enrique López & Sergio Ocampo & Norberto Rodríguez, 2011. "Choques, instituciones laborales y desempleo en Colombia," Borradores de Economia 682, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ossama Mikhail, 2005. "What Happens After A Technology Shock? A Bayesian Perspective," Macroeconomics 0510016, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.