Nonparametric identification and estimation of a class of common value auction models
AbstractStructural econometric studies on auctions have mainly focused on the independent private value paradigm. In this paper, we are interested in the 'opposite' case known as the pure common value model. More precisely, we restrict our attention to a class of common value models defined by three functions: the density of the true value of the auctioned good, a unique function that appears in the definition of the conditional densities of the signals, and the function that defines the support of the conditional densities. We establish that these common value models are nonparametrically identified without any further restrictions. We then propose a one-step nonparametric estimation method and prove the uniform consistency of our estimators. We apply our method on simulated data and show that the technique we propose is adequate to recover the distribution functions of interest. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matt Shum & Phil Haile & Han Hong, 2003. "Nonparametric Tests for Common Values in First-Price Auctions," Economics Working Paper Archive 501, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Harry J. PAARSCH, 1994.
"A Comparison of Estimators for Empirical Models of Auctions,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 34, pages 143-157.
- Paarsch, H.J., 1992. "A Comparison of estimators for Empirical Models of Auction," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9210, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Paarsch, Harry J., 1992. "Deciding between the common and private value paradigms in empirical models of auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 191-215.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Vuong, Quang, 1996. "Structural Analysis of Auction Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 414-20, May.
- Wilson, Robert, 1977. "A Bidding Model of Perfect Competition," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 511-18, October.
- Vuong, Q. & Laffont, J.J. & Elyakime, B. & Loisel, P., 1995. "Auctioning and Bargaining: An Econometric Study of Timber Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," Papers 9502, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Ossard, Herve & Vuong, Quang, 1995.
"Econometrics of First-Price Auctions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 953-80, July.
- Athey,S. & Haile,P.A., 2000.
"Identification of standard auction models,"
13, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Philip A. Haile & Han Hong & Matthew Shum, 2004.
"Nonparametric Tests for Common Values in First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions,"
2004.149, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Philip A. Haile & Han Hong & Matthew Shum, 2003. "Nonparametric Tests for Common Values at First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions," NBER Working Papers 10105, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philip A. Haile & Han Hong & Matthew Shum, 2003. "Nonparametric Tests for Common Values in First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1445, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Bernard ELYAKIME & Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Patrice LOISEL & Quang VUONG, 1994.
"First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices,"
Annales d'Economie et de Statistique,
ENSAE, issue 34, pages 115-141.
- Elyakime, Bernard & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Loisel, Patrice & Vuong, Quang, 1993. "First-Price Sealed-Bid Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," IDEI Working Papers 27, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Donald, Stephen G. & Paarsch, Harry J., 1996. "Identification, Estimation, and Testing in Parametric Empirical Models of Auctions within the Independent Private Values Paradigm," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 517-567, August.
- Emmanuel Guerre & Isabelle Perrigne & Quang Vuong, 2000. "Optimal Nonparametric Estimation of First-Price Auctions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 525-574, May.
- Elyakime, Bernard, et al, 1997. "Auctioning and Bargaining: An Econometric Study of Timber Auctions with Secret Reservation Prices," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 15(2), pages 209-20, April.
- Milgrom, Paul R & Weber, Robert J, 1982.
"A Theory of Auctions and Competitive Bidding,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1089-1122, September.
- Li, Tong & Perrigne, Isabelle & Vuong, Quang, 2000. "Conditionally independent private information in OCS wildcat auctions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 129-161, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.