Sequential numerical integration in nonlinear state space models for microeconometric panel data
AbstractThis paper discusses the estimation of a class of nonlinear state space models including nonlinear panel data models with autoregressive error components. A health economics example illustrates the usefulness of such models. For the approximation of the likelihood function, nonlinear filtering algorithms developed in the time-series literature are considered. Because of the relatively simple structure of these models, a straightforward algorithm based on sequential Gaussian quadrature is suggested. It performs very well both in the empirical application and a Monte Carlo study for ordered logit and binary probit models with an AR(1) error component. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, L.F., 1994.
"Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Statistical Models--Some Monte Carlo Results,"
94-06, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1997. "Simulated maximum likelihood estimation of dynamic discrete choice statistical models some Monte Carlo results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-35.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Jes�s Fern�ndez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ram�rez, 2007.
"Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1059-1087.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2006. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," NBER Technical Working Papers 0321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2006. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000849, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Rubio-Ramirez, Juan Francisco, 2006. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Florian Heiss & Axel Börsch-Supan & Michael Hurd & David Wise, 2007.
"Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories,"
MEA discussion paper series
07131, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Florian Heiss & Axel Börsch-Supan & Michael Hurd & David A. Wise, 2009. "Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories," NBER Chapters, in: Health at Older Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability among the Elderly, pages 105-150 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heiss, Florian & Börsch-Supan, Axel & Hurd, Michael & Wise, David, 2006. "Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 07-30, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Luc Bauwens & Nikolaus Hautsch, 2006.
"Stochastic Conditional Intensity Processes,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(3), pages 450-493.
- Geweke, John F. & Keane, Michael P. & Runkle, David E., 1997.
"Statistical inference in the multinomial multiperiod probit model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 125-165, September.
- John F. Geweke & Michael P. Keane & David E. Runkle, 1994. "Statistical inference in the multinomial multiperiod probit model," Staff Report 177, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2004.
"Estimating Dynamic Equilibrium Economies: Linear versus Nonlinear Likelihood,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Jesus Fernández-Villaverde, 2005. "Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 891-910.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez, 2004. "Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood," Working Paper 2004-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- André Lucas & Siem Jan Koopman, 2005.
"Business and default cycles for credit risk,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 311-323.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-64, May.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden & Paul Ruud, 1993.
"Simulation of Multivariate Normal Rectangle Probabilities and their Derivatives: Theoretical and Computational Results,"
_024, Yale University.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis & McFadden, Daniel & Ruud, Paul, 1996. "Simulation of multivariate normal rectangle probabilities and their derivatives theoretical and computational results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 85-134.
- Danielsson, J & Richard, J-F, 1993. "Accelerated Gaussian Importance Sampler with Application to Dynamic Latent Variable Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S153-73, Suppl. De.
- Bo E. Honoré & Elie Tamer, 2006. "Bounds on Parameters in Panel Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 611-629, 05.
- Keane, Michael P, 1994. "A Computationally Practical Simulation Estimator for Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 95-116, January.
- Paul Contoyannis & Andrew M. Jones & Nigel Rice, 2004. "The dynamics of health in the British Household Panel Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 473-503.
- Heiss, Florian & Winschel, Viktor, 2006. "Estimation with Numerical Integration on Sparse Grids," Discussion Papers in Economics 916, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011057 is not listed on IDEAS
- Francesco Bartolucci & Federico Belotti & Franco Peracchi, 2013. "Testing for Time-Invariant Unobserved Heterogeneity in Generalized Linear Models for Panel Data," EIEF Working Papers Series 1312, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2013.
- Grigorios Emvalomatis, 2012. "Adjustment and unobserved heterogeneity in dynamic stochastic frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 7-16, February.
- Giarda, Elena, 2013. "Persistency of financial distress amongst Italian households: Evidence from dynamic models for binary panel data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 3425-3434.
- Bartolucci, Francesco & Lupparelli, Monia, 2012. "Nested hidden Markov chains for modeling dynamic unobserved heterogeneity in multilevel longitudinal data," MPRA Paper 40588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.