Sequential numerical integration in nonlinear state space models for microeconometric panel data
AbstractThis paper discusses the estimation of a class of nonlinear state space models including nonlinear panel data models with autoregressive error components. A health economics example illustrates the usefulness of such models. For the approximation of the likelihood function, nonlinear filtering algorithms developed in the time-series literature are considered. Because of the relatively simple structure of these models, a straightforward algorithm based on sequential Gaussian quadrature is suggested. It performs very well both in the empirical application and a Monte Carlo study for ordered logit and binary probit models with an AR(1) error component. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2006.
"Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach,"
122247000000000849, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Jes�s Fern�ndez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ram�rez, 2007. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 74(4), pages 1059-1087.
- Fernández-Villaverde, Jesús & Rubio-Ramirez, Juan Francisco, 2006. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 5513, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2006. "Estimating Macroeconomic Models: A Likelihood Approach," NBER Technical Working Papers 0321, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Durbin, 2002. "A simple and efficient simulation smoother for state space time series analysis," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(3), pages 603-616, August.
- Paul Contoyannis & Andrew M. Jones & Nigel Rice, 2004. "The dynamics of health in the British Household Panel Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 473-503.
- Florian Heiss & Axel Börsch-Supan & Michael Hurd & David A. Wise, 2009.
"Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories,"
in: Health at Older Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability among the Elderly, pages 105-150
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heiss, Florian & Börsch-Supan, Axel & Hurd, Michael & Wise, David, 2006. "Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 07-30, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Florian Heiss & Axel Börsch-Supan & Michael Hurd & David Wise, 2007. "Pathways to Disability: Predicting Health Trajectories," MEA discussion paper series 07131, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Andr� Lucas, 2003.
"Business and Default Cycles for Credit Risk,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
03-062/2, Tinbergen Institute, revised 09 Jan 2003.
- Butler, J S & Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "A Computationally Efficient Quadrature Procedure for the One-Factor Multinomial Probit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 761-64, May.
- Danielsson, J & Richard, J-F, 1993. "Accelerated Gaussian Importance Sampler with Application to Dynamic Latent Variable Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S153-73, Suppl. De.
- Keane, Michael P, 1994. "A Computationally Practical Simulation Estimator for Panel Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 95-116, January.
- Hajivassiliou, Vassilis & McFadden, Daniel & Ruud, Paul, 1996.
"Simulation of multivariate normal rectangle probabilities and their derivatives theoretical and computational results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 85-134.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Daniel L. McFadden & Paul Ruud, 1993. "Simulation of Multivariate Normal Rectangle Probabilities and their Derivatives: Theoretical and Computational Results," Working Papers _024, Yale University.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Jesus Fernandez-Villaverde & Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez, 2004.
"Estimating Dynamic Equilibrium Economies: Linear versus Nonlinear Likelihood,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
04-005, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Juan F. Rubio-Ramirez & Jesus Fernández-Villaverde, 2005. "Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(7), pages 891-910.
- Jesús Fernández-Villaverde & Juan Francisco Rubio-Ramírez, 2004. "Estimating dynamic equilibrium economies: linear versus nonlinear likelihood," Working Paper 2004-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1997.
"Simulated maximum likelihood estimation of dynamic discrete choice statistical models some Monte Carlo results,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 1-35.
- Lee, L.F., 1994. "Simulated Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Discrete Choice Statistical Models--Some Monte Carlo Results," Papers 94-06, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, .
"Stochastic conditional intensity processes,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1937, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Geweke, John F. & Keane, Michael P. & Runkle, David E., 1997.
"Statistical inference in the multinomial multiperiod probit model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 125-165, September.
- John F. Geweke & Michael P. Keane & David E. Runkle, 1994. "Statistical inference in the multinomial multiperiod probit model," Staff Report 177, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Heiss, Florian & Winschel, Viktor, 2006. "Estimation with Numerical Integration on Sparse Grids," Discussion Papers in Economics 916, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bo E. Honoré & Elie Tamer, 2006. "Bounds on Parameters in Panel Dynamic Discrete Choice Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(3), pages 611-629, 05.
- Bartolucci, Francesco & Lupparelli, Monia, 2012. "Nested hidden Markov chains for modeling dynamic unobserved heterogeneity in multilevel longitudinal data," MPRA Paper 40588, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Grigorios Emvalomatis, 2012. "Adjustment and unobserved heterogeneity in dynamic stochastic frontier models," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 7-16, February.
- Francesco Bartolucci & Federico Belotti & Franco Peracchi, 2013. "Testing for Time-Invariant Unobserved Heterogeneity in Generalized Linear Models for Panel Data," EIEF Working Papers Series 1312, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised May 2013.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2011057 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.