Multivariate mixed proportional hazard modelling of the joint retirement of married couples
AbstractWe analyse the joint distribution of the durations until retirement of Danish husbands and wives. We estimate a multivariate mixed proportional hazards model that allows for interdependence in the times to retirement of spouses. We find evidence of strong complementarities in leisure times. Symmetrically for husband and wife, low own income and poor health are found to induce individual retirement (prior to spouse's retirement), whereas low spousal income is not, and neither party is found likely to substitute own for purchased care when the spouse is in poor health. Furthermore, high wealth and low income are found to spur joint (simultaneous) retirement. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blau, David M, 1998. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Married Couples," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 595-629, July.
- Bruce D. Meyer, 1991.
"Unemployment Insurance And Unemployment Spells,"
NBER Working Papers
2546, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Yuying An, 2000. "A Semiparametric Distribution for Willingness to Pay and Statistical Inference with Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(3), pages 487-500.
- Pozzebon, Silvana & Mitchell, Olivia S, 1989.
"Married Women's Retirement Behavior,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 39-53.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Monika BÜTLER & Olivia HUGUENIN & Federica TEPPA, 2004.
"What Triggers Early Retirement ? Results from Swiss Pension Funds,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
04.04, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Bütler, Monika & Huguenin, Olivia & Teppa, Federica, 2004. "What Triggers Early Retirement? Results from Swiss Pension Funds," CEPR Discussion Papers 4394, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Monika Bütler & Olivia Huguenin & Federica Teppa, 2004. "What Triggers Early Retirement. Results from Swiss Pension Funds," CeRP Working Papers 35, Center for Research on Pensions and Welfare Policies, Turin (Italy).
- Monika BÃ¼tler & Olivia Huguenin & Federica Teppa, 2005. "What Triggers Early Retirement? Results from Swiss Pension Funds," DNB Working Papers 041, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Malene Kallestrup-Lamb, 2011. "The Role of the Spouse in Early Retirement Decisions for Older Workers," CREATES Research Papers 2011-38, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Malene Kallestrup-Lamb & Anders Bredahl Kock & Johannes Tang Kristensen, 2013. "Lassoing the Determinants of Retirement," CREATES Research Papers 2013-21, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Bingley, Paul & Lanot, Gauthier, 2007.
"Public pension programmes and the retirement of married couples in Denmark,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(10), pages 1878-1901, November.
- Paul Bingley & Gauthier Lanot, 2007. "Public pension programmes and the retirement of married couples in Denmark," NBER Chapters, in: Trans-Atlantic Public Economics Seminar (TAPES), Public Policy and Retirement, pages 1878-1901 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Bingley & Gauthier Lanot, 2006. "Public Pension Programmes and the Retirement of Married Couples in Denmark," Keele Economics Research Papers KERP 2006/20, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
- Selin, Håkan, 2011.
"What happens to the husband’s retirement decision when the wife’s retirement incentives change?,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2011:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Håkan Selin, 2012. "What Happens to the Husband's Retirement Decision when the Wife's Retirement Incentives Change?," CESifo Working Paper Series 3772, CESifo Group Munich.
- Diana Warren, 2013. "Retirement Decisions of Couples: The Impact of Spousal Characteristics and Preferences on the Timing of Retirement," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2013n41, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Gungor Karakaya, 2009.
"Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors,"
DULBEA Working Papers
09-04.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Karakaya, Güngör, 2008. "Early cessation of activity in the labour market: impact of supply and demand factors," MPRA Paper 13390, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hernæs, Erik & Iskhakov, Fedor & Strøm, Steinar, 2006. "Early Retirement and Company Characteristics," Memorandum 16/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Monika Bütler & Olivia Huguenin & Federica Teppa, 2005.
"Why Forcing People to Save for Retirement May Backfire,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2005
2005-09, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Monika Bütler & Olivia Huguenin & Federica Teppa, 2005. "Why Forcing People to Save for Retirement may Backfire," CESifo Working Paper Series 1458, CESifo Group Munich.
- Herman J. Bierens & Jose R. Carvalho, 2007. "Semi-nonparametric competing risks analysis of recidivism," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(5), pages 971-993.
- Monika Bütler & Olivia Huguenin & Federica Teppa, 2005. "Why Forcing People to Save Retirement May Backfire," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 05.05, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Kristensen, Nicolai, 2012. "Training and Retirement," IZA Discussion Papers 6301, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.