A score test for non-nested hypotheses with applications to discrete data models
AbstractIn this paper it is shown that a convenient score test against non-nested alternatives can be constructed from the linear combination of the likelihood functions of the competing models. This is essentially a test for the correct specification of the conditional distribution of the variable of interest. Given its characteristics, the proposed test is particularly attractive to check the distributional assumptions in models for discrete data. The usefulness of the test is illustrated with an application to models for recreational boating trips. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 16 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- J M C Santos Silva, 1996. "A Score Test for Non-nested Hypotheses with Applications to Discrete Data Models," Discussion Papers 96-28 ISSN 1350-6722, University College London, Department of Economics.
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- Gourieroux, C. & Monfort, A., 1986. "Testing non-nested hypotheses," Handbook of Econometrics, in: R. F. Engle & D. McFadden (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 44, pages 2583-2637 Elsevier.
- Tse, Y K, 1987. "A Diagnostic Test for the Multinomial Logit Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(2), pages 283-86, April.
- Gaundry, Marc J. I. & Dagenais, Marcel G., 1979. "The dogit model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 105-111, June.
- Fry, Tim R. L. & Harris, Mark N., 1996. "A Monte Carlo study of tests for the independence of irrelevant alternatives property," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 19-30, February.
- Lechner, Michael, 1991. "Testing Logit Models in Practice," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 177-98.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Pasaran, B., 1989.
"A Simulation Approach To The Problem Of Computing Cox'S Statistic For Testing Non-Nested Models,"
7, California Los Angeles - Applied Econometrics.
- Hashem Pesaran, M. & Pesaran, Bahram, 1993. "A simulation approach to the problem of computing Cox's statistic for testing nonnested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 377-392.
- Gordon Fisher & Michael McAleer, 1980. "The Interpretation of the Cox Test in Econometrics," Working Papers 371, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Gordon Fisher & Michael McAleer, 1981.
"Alternative Procedures and Associated Tests of Significance for Non-Nested Hypotheses,"
420, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Fisher, Gordon R. & McAleer, Michael, 1981. "Alternative procedures and associated tests of significance for non-nested hypotheses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 103-119, May.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Regularity conditions for cox's test of non-nested hypotheses," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 301-318, August.
- Christine Seller & John R. Stoll & Jean-Paul Chavas, 1985. "Validation of Empirical Measures of Welfare Change: A Comparison of Nonmarket Techniques," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(2), pages 156-175.
- Godfrey, L. G. & Pesaran, M. H., 1983. "Tests of non-nested regression models: Small sample adjustments and Monte Carlo evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 133-154, January.
- Pesaran, M. H., 1982. "On the comprehensive method of testing non-nested regression models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 263-274, February.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1984.
"Convenient specification tests for logit and probit models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 241-262, July.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1982. "Convenient Specification Tests for Logit and Probit Models," Working Papers 514, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Godfrey, L. G., 1998. "Tests of non-nested regression models some results on small sample behaviour and the bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 59-74, May.
- Mullahy, John, 1986. "Specification and testing of some modified count data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 341-365, December.
- Gurmu, Shiferaw & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1996. "Excess Zeros in Count Models for Recreational Trips," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 469-77, October.
- Pesaran, M. H., 1981.
"Pitfalls of testing non-nested hypotheses by the lagrange multiplier method,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 323-331, December.
- Pesaran, M. H., 1981. "Pitfalls of testing non-nested hypotheses by the lagrange multiplier method," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 158-158, May.
- James G. MacKinnon, 1983. "Model Specification Tests Against Non-Nested Alternatives," Working Papers 573, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Quandt, Richard E, 1974. "A Comparison of Methods for Testing Nonnested Hypotheses," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(1), pages 92-99, February.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J. S. Ramalho, 2012.
"Alternative Versions of the RESET Test for Binary Response Index Models: A Comparative Study,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(1), pages 107-130, 02.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim Ramalho, 2010. "Alternative versions of the RESET test for binary response index models: a comparative study," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2010_09, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Otsu, Taisuke & Seo, Myung Hwan & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2012.
"Testing for non-nested conditional moment restrictions using unconditional empirical likelihood,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 370-382.
- Taisuke Otsu & Myung Hwan Seo & Yoon-Jae Whang, 2008. "Testing for Non-Nested Conditional Moment Restrictions Using Unconditional Empirical Likelihood," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1660, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Juan Mora & Ana I. Moro, 2006. "Consistent Specification Test For Ordered Discrete Choice Models," Working Papers. Serie AD 2006-17, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- J. M. C. Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro & Frank Windmeijer, 2010. "Is it different for zeros? Discriminating between models for non-negative data with many zeros," CeMMAP working papers CWP20/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Paap, R., 2002.
"Common large innovations across nonlinear time series,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2002-09, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Franses Philip Hans & Paap Richard, 2013. "Common large innovations across nonlinear time series," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 17(3), pages 251-263, May.
- Esmeralda A. Ramalho & Joaquim J.S. Ramalho & José M.R. Murteira, 2013. "A generalized goodness-of-functional form test for binary and fractional regression models," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_09, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- M. T. Aparicio & I. Villanúa, 2012. "Selection criteria for overlapping binary Models," Documentos de Trabajo dt2012-01, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming & Lin, Hsin-Yi, 2010. "An encompassing test for non-nested quantile regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 257-260, May.
- Nakatani, Tomoaki & Sato, Kazuo, 2005. "Truncation and Endogenous Stratification in Various Count Data Models for Recreation Demand Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 615, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Isabel Mendes & Isabel Proença, 2009. "Measuring the Social Recreation Per-Day Net Benefit of Wildlife Amenities of a National Park: A Count-Data Travel Cost Approach," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/35, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.