Scale economies in electricity distribution: a semiparametric analysis
AbstractWe estimate the costs of distributing electricity using data on municipal electric utilities in Ontario, Canada for the period 1993-5. The data reveal substantial evidence of increasing returns to scale with minimum efficient scale being achieved by firms with about 20,000 customers. Larger firms exhibit constant or decreasing returns. Utilities which deliver additional services (such as water|sewage), have significantly lower costs, indicating the presence of economies of scope. Our basic specifications comprise semiparametric variants of the translog cost function where output enters non-parametrically and remaining variables (including their interactions with output) are parametric. We rely upon non-parametric differencing techniques and extend a previous differencing test of equality of non-parametric regression functions to a panel data setting. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.Journal: Journal of Applied Econometrics
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Nelson, Randy A., 1990. "The effects of competition on publicly-owned firms : Evidence from the municipal electric industry in the U.S," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 37-51.
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Powell, James L., 1993. "Semiparametric estimation of censored selection models with a nonparametric selection mechanism," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 3-29, July.
- Dennis Cox & Eunmee Koh, 1989. "A smoothing spline based test of model adequacy in polynomial regression," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 383-400, June.
- Yatchew, A., 1999. "An elementary nonparametric differencing test of equality of regression functions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 271-278, March.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
- Kjell G. Salvanes & Sigve Tjøtta, 1998. "A Test for Natural Monopoly with Application to Norwegian Electricity Distribution," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(6), pages 669-685, December.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Hidalgo, Javier & Li, Qi, 1996. "A nonparametric test for poolability using panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 345-367, December.
- Chang, Dong-Shang & Chen, Yi-Tui & Chen, Wen-Den, 2009. "The exogenous factors affecting the cost efficiency of power generation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5540-5545, December.
- Shen, Chung-Wei & Tsou, Tsung-Shan & Balakrishnan, N., 2011. "Robust likelihood inference for regression parameters in partially linear models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 1696-1714, April.
- Jamasb, T. & Neuhoff, K. & Newbery, D. & Pollitt, M., 2005. "Long-term Framework for Electricity Distribution Access Charges," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0551, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Fetz, Aurelio & Filippini, Massimo, 2010. "Economies of vertical integration in the Swiss electricity sector," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1325-1330, November.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2007. "Economies of Scale and Scope in the Swiss Multi-Utilities Sector," CEPE Working paper series 07-59, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Nillesen, Paul & Pollitt, Michael, 2004. "Strategic behaviour under regulatory benchmarking," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 825-843, September.
- DiNardo, John & Tobias, Justin, 2001.
"Nonparametric Density and Regression Estimation,"
Staff General Research Papers
12020, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Luo, June & Gerard, Patrick, 2013. "Using thresholding difference-based estimators for variable selection in partial linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(12), pages 2601-2606.
- Luo, June, 2012. "Asymptotic efficiency of ridge estimator in linear and semiparametric linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 58-62.
- Shen, Leilei, 2013. "Financial dependence and growth: Diminishing returns to improvement in financial development," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 120(2), pages 215-219.
- Jamasb, T. & Nillesen, P. & Pollitt, M., 2003. "Strategic Behaviour under Regulation Benchmarking," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0312, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- John Kwoka, 2005. "Electric power distribution: economies of scale, mergers, and restructuring," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(20), pages 2373-2386.
- Nillesen, P. & Pollitt, M.G., 2008.
"Ownership unbundling in electricity distribution: empircal evidence from New Zealand,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0836, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Paul Nillesen & Michael Pollitt, 2011. "Ownership Unbundling in Electricity Distribution: Empirical Evidence from New Zealand," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 61-93, January.
- Goto, Mika & Sueyoshi, Toshiyuki, 2009. "Productivity growth and deregulation of Japanese electricity distribution," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 3130-3138, August.
- Gaunt, C.T., 2008. "Electricity distribution industry restructuring in South Africa: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3448-3459, September.
- Arcos, Angel & de Toledo, Pablo Alvarez, 2009. "An analysis of the Spanish electrical utility industry: Economies of scale, technological progress and efficiency," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 473-481, May.
- Anenberg, Elliot, 2011. "Loss aversion, equity constraints and seller behavior in the real estate market," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 67-76, January.
- Wai Choi & Anindya Sen & Adam White, 2011. "Response of industrial customers to hourly pricing in Ontario’s deregulated electricity market," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 303-323, December.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Orea, Luis & Pollitt, Michael, 2012. "Estimating the marginal cost of quality improvements: The case of the UK electricity distribution companies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1498-1506.
- Livanis, Grigorios T. & Salois, Matthew J. & Moss, Charles B., 2009. "A Nonparametric Kernel Representation of the Agricultural Production Function: Implications for Economic Measures of Technology," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51063, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Manuel Frondel & Christoph M. Schmidt, 2006. "On the Restrictiveness of Separability: The Significance of Energy in German Manufacturing," RWI Discussion Papers 0038, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.