Estimating the LQAC Model with I(2) Variables
AbstractThis paper derives a method for estimating and testing the Linear Quadratic Adjustment Cost (LQAC) model when the target variable and some of the forcing variables follow I(2) processes. Based on a forward-looking error-correction formulation of the model it is shown how to obtain strongly consistent estimates of the structural parameters from both a linear and a non-linear cointegrating regression where first-differences of the I(2) variables are included as regressors (multicointegration). Further, based on the estimated parameter values, it is shown how to test and evaluate the LQAC model using a VAR approach. A simple easy interpretable metric for measuring the model fit is suggested. In an empirical application using UK money demand data, the non-linear multicointegrating regression delivers an economically plausible estimate of the adjustment cost parameter. However, the restrictions implied by the exact LQAC model under rational expectations are strongly rejected and the metric for model fit indicates a substantial noise component in the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prudence Serju, 2003. "Monetary Conditions and Core Inflation: an Application of Neural Networks," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 31-50, January-J.
- Engsted, Tom, 2002. " Measures of Fit for Rational Expectations Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 301-55, July.
- Víctor Tiberio Olivo, 2003. "Taylor Rules and Inflation Targeting do not Work with Systematic Foreign Exchange Market Intervention," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 51-67, January-J.
- Engsted, Tom, 2000.
"Measuring Noise in the Permanent Income Hypothesis,"
Finance Working Papers
00-8, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Engsted, Tom, 2002. "Measuring noise in the Permanent Income Hypothesis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 353-370, September.
- Carlos José García & Jorge Enrique Restrepo, 2001. "Price Inflation and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 128, Central Bank of Chile.
- Thórarinn G. Pétursson, 2001. "The representative household's demand for money in a cointegrated VAR model," Economics wp12, Department of Economics, Central bank of Iceland.
- René Lalonde & Zhenhua Zhu & Frédérick Demers, 2003. "Forecasting and Analyzing World Commodity Prices," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 1-30, January-J.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2001. "The Danish stock and bond markets: comovement, return predictability and variance decomposition," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 243-271, July.
- Matteo Manera, 2005.
"Modeling Factor Demands with SEM and VAR: An Empirical Comparison,"
2005.47, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Matteo Manera, 2006. "Modelling factor demands with SEM and VAR: an empirical comparison," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 121-146, October.
- Fanelli, Luca, 2006. "Multi-equational linear quadratic adjustment cost models with rational expectations and cointegration," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 445-456, March.
- Carlos José García T. & Jorge Enrique Restrepo, 2003. "Price Inflation and Exchange Rate Pass-Trough in Chile," Money Affairs, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(1), pages 69-88, January-J.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.