Individual demands from household aggregates: time and age variation in the composition of diet
AbstractThis paper uses non-parametric regression with smoothness induced by imposition of a roughness penalty to estimate time-dependent relationships between age and intakes of energy, total fat and saturated fatty acids employing data on household food acquisitions from a continuous survey covering the period 1975-94. A discrete analogue of the bivariate thin plate spline smoother is used to smooth the estimates across age and time. With age and calendar time-specific estimated intakes in hand it is possible to track changes with age within cohorts. Of particular interest in this application are estimates of the change through time and across age in measures of dietary composition which figure in many governments' dietary targets such as the proportion of energy derived from fat. The method used here can be applied in any situation in which household aggregate data are available on consumption of private goods and there is a need to model the demands of household members or to control for household composition, opening the way to the construction of individual pseudo-panels from household aggregates. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1998)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- L. Pieroni & D. Lanari & L. Salmasi, 2013.
"Food prices and overweight patterns in Italy,"
The European Journal of Health Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 133-151, February.
- Luca Pieroni & Donatella Lanari & Luca Salmasi, 2010. "Food Prices and Overweight Patterns in Italy," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2010_40, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Pieroni, Luca & Lanari, Donatella & Salmasi, Luca, 2010. "Food Prices and Overweight Patterns in Italy," MPRA Paper 23744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keyu Jin & Stéphane Guibaud & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2011.
"Credit constraints and growth in a global economy,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
35706, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Guibaud, Stéphane & Jin, Keyu, 2012. "Credit Constraints and Growth in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 9109, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephane Guibaud & Keyu Jin & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2011. "Credit Constraints and Growth in a Global Economy," 2011 Meeting Papers 1040, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Keyu Jin & Stéphane Guibaud & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2013. "Credit constraints and growth in a global economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 54261, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-AndrÃ©e Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, 2004.
"Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
588, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2010.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, 2013. "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 80(4), pages 1267-1303.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Arthur Lewbel, . "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," CAM Working Papers 2003-12, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics, revised Dec 2003.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2006. "Estimating Consumption Economies of Scale, Adult Equivalence Scales, and Household Bargaining Power," Economics Series Working Papers 289, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ruth Miquel & François Laisney, 1999. "Consumption and Nutrition:Age - Intake Profiles for Czechoslovakia," Working Papers of BETA 9921, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Smed, Sinne & Jensen, Jorgen D. & Denver, Sigrid, 2007. "Socio-economic characteristics and the effect of taxation as a health policy instrument," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 624-639.
- David Demery & Nigel Duck, 2003. "Demographic Change and the UK Savings Rate," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 03/550, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Keyu Jin & Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2013. "The One-Child Policy and Household Savings in China," 2013 Meeting Papers 790, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David Demery & Nigel Duck, 2006. "Demographic change and the UK savings rate," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(2), pages 119-136.
- Dhehibi, Boubaker & Gil, Jose Maria & Angulo, Ana Maria, 2003. "Nutrient Effects On Consumer Demand: A Panel Data Approach," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25881, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Miquel, Ruth & Laisney, François, 2000. "Consumption and nutrition: age - intake profiles for Czechoslovakia 1989 - 1992," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-63, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thomas F. Crossley & Yuri Ostrovsky, 2003. "A Synthetic Cohort Analysis of Canadian Housing Careers," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 107, McMaster University.
- De Agostini, Paola, 2007. "Diet composition, socio-economic status and food outlets development in Britain," ISER Working Paper Series 2007-09, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- De Agostini, Paola, 2014. "The effect of food prices and household income on the British diet," ISER Working Paper Series 2014-10, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.