The age profile of mobility measures: an application to earnings in West Germany
AbstractThis paper develops a technique for estimating age-profiles of earnings mobility using conditional kernel density estimation and establishes their statistical properties. Both pointwise and simultaneous confidence intervals are derived. The paper then examines the age-profile of short-run earnings mobility in Germany between 1983 and 1993 using the Socio-Economic Panel data. It turns out that earnings mobility is significantly higher for young people than for elder ones. Mobility declines rather rapidly until the age of thirty-five or so and remains constant thereafter. The shape of the profile does not change significantly during the observation period. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sami Bibi & Jean-Yves Duclos & Abdelkrim Araar, 2011.
"Mobility, Taxation and Welfare,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2011.
"Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6020, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo & Lüthen, Holger, 2012. "Lifetime earnings inequality in Germany," CEPR Discussion Papers 8929, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Timm Bönke & Giacomo Corneo & Holger Lüthen, 2011. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1160, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Lüthen, Holger & Bönke, Timm & Corneo, Giacomo, 2012. "Lifetime Earnings Inequality in Germany," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62074, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.