Feasible Cross-Validatory Model Selection for General Stationary Processes
AbstractCross-validation is a method used to estimate the expected prediction error of a model. Such estimates may be of interest in themselves, but their use for model selection is more common. Unfortunately, cross-validation is viewed as being computationally expensive in many situations. In this paper it is shown that the h-block cross-validation function for least-squares based estimators can be expressed in a form which enormously impact on the amount of calculation required. The standard approach is of O(T[superscript 2]) where T denotes the sample size, while the proposed approach is of O(T) and yields identical numerical results The proposed approach has widespread potential application ranging from the estimation of expected prediction error to least squares-based model specification to the selection of the series order for non-parametric series estimation. The technique is valid for general stationary observations. Simulation results and applications are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (March-April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- González, Andrés & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2006.
"Modelling autoregressive processes with a shifting mean,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
637, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 22 May 2007.
- González Andrés & Teräsvirta Timo, 2008. "Modelling Autoregressive Processes with a Shifting Mean," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Timo Terasvirta & Andrés González, . "Modelling autoregressive processes with a shifting mean," Borradores de Economia 420, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Timo Terasvirta & Andrés González, 2006. "Modelling autoregressive processes with a shifting mean," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003230, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Racine, Jeff, 2000. "Consistent cross-validatory model-selection for dependent data: hv-block cross-validation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 39-61, November.
- Hansen, Bruce E. & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2012. "Jackknife model averaging," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 38-46.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.