A Simple and Efficient Method for Estimating the Magnitude and Precision of Welfare Changes
AbstractIn this article we propose a simple and efficient method of estimating welfare measures in an n-equation system. We also estimate the variance of these measures. The accuracy and convergence properties of our approach are studied: the algorithm converges quadratically. This is a distinct improvement over the Vartia algorithm which converges linearly. We demonstrate the method by evaluating the welfare consequences of price changes in the provision of health care. The GAUSS code, which is very short, is included. Copyright 1995 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1995)
Issue (Month): 3 (July-Sept.)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Ahlheim & Ulrike Lehr, 2002. "Nutzentransfer: Das Sparmodell der Umweltbewertung," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 3(1), pages 85-104, 02.
- Kumar, Anil, 2008. "Labor supply, deadweight loss and tax reform act of 1986: A nonparametric evaluation using panel data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1-2), pages 236-253, February.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1998.
"Three Sides of Harberger Triangles,"
NBER Working Papers
6852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michel Simioni & Vincent Réquilllart & Pascal Lavergne, 1998. "Pertes de bien-être et pouvoir de marché dans l'agro-alimentaire français," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 135(4), pages 77-86.
- Bullock, David S. & Garcia, Philip & Shin, Kie-Yup, 2005. "Measuring producer welfare under output price uncertainty and risk non-neutrality," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 49(1), March.
- Ian J. Irvine & William A. Sims, 2002. "A simple and efficient method for estimating the magnitude and precision of welfare changes: comment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 81-83.
- Zhen Sun & Yang Xie, 2013. "Error Analysis and Comparison of Two Algorithms Measuring Compensated Income," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(4), pages 433-452, December.
- Ahlheim, Michael, 1998. "Contingent valuation and the budget constraint," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 205-211, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.