Indices for Investment Benchmarking and Return Performance Analysis in Private Real Estate
AbstractIn U.S. commercial real estate markets, a single index product produced by the National Council of Real Estate Investment Fiduciaries (NCREIF) has been used for both asset class research and for agent evaluation benchmarking. While the NCREIF Index is an invaluable tool for the U.S. real estate investment industry, in some respects its construction is not optimized for either research or the benchmarking function, though the gap between the reality and the ideal is arguably greatest on the research side. This paper first discusses the purpose of the ideal research index, the optimal depth and breadth of market coverage, and the type of information included in the research index database. This discussion is followed by an analysis of the ideal agent evaluation benchmark index, including the definition, purpose, and uses of evaluation benchmarking, the characteristics of the ideal benchmark index, market coverage and information onsiderations, and a comparison of benchmark indices in the private real estate market to comparable indices used to benchmark public securities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asian Real Estate Society in its journal International Real Estate Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Asia Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geltner, David & Goetzmann, William, 2000. "Two Decades of Commercial Property Returns: A Repeated-Measures Regression-Based Version of the NCREIF Index," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 5-21, July.
- Dirk Brounen & Piet Eichholtz & David Ling, 2007. "Trading Intensity and Real Estate Performance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 449-474, November.
- David Geltner & David C. Ling, 2006. "Considerations in the Design and Construction of Investment Real Estate Research Indices," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 28(4), pages 411-444.
- Sampagnaro, Gabriele & Battaglia, Francesca, 2010. "Reliability and Heterogeneity of Real Estate Indexes and their Impact on the Predictability of Returns," MPRA Paper 23378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.