The role of economic and political measures of the palliation of poverty in Croatia
AbstractThe paper considers measures for palliating poverty in Croatia. After an introductory account, poverty is defined, and a very brief description of the situation in Croatia is given. In the sequel, attention is devoted to the encouragement of economic growth, the creation of greater opportunities for employment, the enhancement of human capital, an effective welfare system and well-oriented targeting of benefits to groups that need assistance, decentralization, the restraining of corruption and the development of institutions. The paper concludes with some final considerations and proposals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Institute of Public Finance in its journal Financial Theory and Practice.
Volume (Year): 29 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
poverty; economic development; welfare; employment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meier, Gerald M., 2002. "William Easterly, The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 220-222, March.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, December.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Ritva Reinikka, 2004. "Making Services Work for Poor People," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages i142-i166, July.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2001.
"Economic Policy, Distribution and Poverty: The Nature of Disagreements,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1083-1094, June.
- Kanbur Ravi, 2001. "Economic Policy, Distribution and Poverty: The Nature of Disagreements," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-26, April.
- World Bank, 2001. "Croatia : Economic Vulnerability and Welfare Study," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15698, The World Bank.
- Levine, Ross, 1998. "Robert J. Barro, Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 822-824, December.
- William Easterly, 2002. "The Elusive Quest for Growth: Economists' Adventures and Misadventures in the Tropics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262550423, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Fabris).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.