Economic Impact of Freer Trade in Latin America and the Caribbean: A GTAP Analysis
AbstractThe recent worldwide economic conditions resulting from the financial crisis call for greater cooperation. This paper assesses the impact of trade reforms between Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and India and LAC and the EU (European Union) at 2020 using a global computable general equilibrium (CGE) model. The findings show that LAC-EU tariff reduction appears to be beneficial for both regions in the short run, though not so in the long run, while the LAC-India tariff reduction impact appears to be more beneficial for both economies in the long run. This important finding emphasizes the scope and opportunities for south-south cooperation in the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile. in its journal Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía.
Volume (Year): 49 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McDonald, Scott & Robinson, Sherman & Thierfelder, Karen, 2008. "Asian Growth and Trade Poles: India, China, and East and Southeast Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 210-234, February.
- Luis Rivera & Hugo Rojas-Romagosa, 2007. "Economic Implications of an Association Agreement between the European Union and Central America," IIDE Discussion Papers 20071001, Institue for International and Development Economics.
- Daniel Lederman & Marcelo Olarreaga & Eliana Rubiano, 2008. "Trade Specialization in Latin America: The Impact of China and India," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 248-271, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jaime Casassus).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.