Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multiproduct Revenue Management Problems
AbstractConsider a firm that owns a fixed capacity of a resource that is consumed in the production or delivery of multiple products. The firm strives to maximize its total expected revenues over a finite horizon, either by choosing a dynamic pricing strategy for each product or, if prices are fixed, by selecting a dynamic rule that controls the allocation of capacity to requests for the different products. This paper shows how these well-studied revenue management problems can be reduced to a common formulation in which the firm controls the aggregate rate at which all products jointly consume resource capacity, highlighting their common structure, and in some cases leading to algorithmic simplifications through the reduction in the control dimension of the associated optimization problems. In the context of their associated deterministic (fluid) formulations, this reduction leads to a closed-form characterization of the optimal controls, and suggests several natural static and dynamic pricing heuristics. These are analyzed asymptotically and through an extensive numerical study. In the context of the former, we show that "resolving" the fluid heuristic achieves asymptotically optimal performance under fluid scaling.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
Volume (Year): 8 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
revenue management; dynamic pricing; capacity controls; fluid approximations; efficient frontier;
Other versions of this item:
- Constantinos Maglaras & Joern Meissner, 2003. "Dynamic Pricing Strategies for Multi-Product Revenue Management Problems," Working Papers MRG/0002, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Nov 2005.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Gabriel Bitran & René Caldentey, 2003. "An Overview of Pricing Models for Revenue Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(3), pages 203-229, August.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 2004. "Revenue Management Under a General Discrete Choice Model of Consumer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 15-33, January.
- Youyi Feng & Baichun Xiao, 2000. "A Continuous-Time Yield Management Model with Multiple Prices and Reversible Price Changes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(5), pages 644-657, May.
- Sumit Kunnumkal & Kalyan Talluri, 2014. "On the tractability of the piecewise-linear approximation for general discrete-choice network revenue management," Economics Working Papers 1409, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Grigoriev Alexander & Hiller Benjamin & Marbán Sebastián & Vredeveld Tjark & Zwaan Ruben van der, 2010. "Dynamic Pricing Problems with Elastic Demand," Research Memorandum 053, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Sumit Kunnumkal & Kalyan Talluri, 2014. "On the Tractability of the Piecewiselinear Approximation for General Discrete-Choice Network Revenue Management," Working Papers 749, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Berk, Emre & Gürler, Ülkü & YIldIrIm, Gonca, 2009. "On pricing of perishable assets with menu costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 678-699, October.
- Kuo, Chia-Wei & Huang, Kwei-Long, 2012. "Dynamic pricing of limited inventories for multi-generation products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 394-403.
- Weaver, Robert D. & Moon, Yongma, 2011. "Pricing Perishables," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 122007, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Burkart, Wolfgang R. & Klein, Robert & Mayer, Stefan, 2012. "Product line pricing for services with capacity constraints and dynamic substitution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 347-359.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.