Optimizing Inventory Replenishment of Retail Fashion Products
AbstractWe consider the problem of determining (for a short lifecycle) retail product initial and replenishment order quantities that minimize the cost of lost sales, back orders, and obsolete inventory. We model this problem as a two-stage stochastic dynamic program, propose a heuristic, establish conditions under which the heuristic finds an optimal solution, and report results of the application of our procedure at a catalog retailer. Our procedure improves on the existing method by enough to double profits. In addition, our method can be used to choose the optimal reorder time, to quantify the benefit of leadtime reduction, and to choose the best replenishment contract.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Manufacturing & Service Operations Management.
Volume (Year): 3 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Retailing; Inventory Replenishment; Stochastic Dynamic Programming; Heuristics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cheaitou, Ali & van Delft, Christian & Dallery, Yves & Jemai, Zied, 2009. "Two-period production planning and inventory control," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 118-130, March.
- Caulkins, J.P. & Hartl, R.F. & Kort, P.M. & Feichtinger, G., 2007.
"Explaining fashion cycles: Imitators chasing innovators in product space,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194289, Tilburg University.
- Caulkins, Jonathan P. & Hartl, Richard F. & Kort, Peter M. & Feichtinger, Gustav, 2007. "Explaining fashion cycles: Imitators chasing innovators in product space," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1535-1556, May.
- Serel, Dogan A., 2009. "Optimal ordering and pricing in a quick response system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 700-714, October.
- Karakul, M., 2008. "Joint pricing and procurement of fashion products in the existence of clearance markets," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 487-506, August.
- Baruah, Pundarikaksha, 2006. "Supply Chains Facing Atypical Demand: Optimal Operational Policies And Benefits Under Information Sharing," MPRA Paper 16101, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mostard, Julien & Teunter, Ruud & de Koster, René, 2011. "Forecasting demand for single-period products: A case study in the apparel industry," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 139-147, May.
- Li, Xiang & Li, Yongjian & Cai, Xiaoqiang, 2011. "On a multi-period supply chain system with supplementary order opportunity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(3), pages 273-284, March.
- Mostard, Julien & de Koster, Rene & Teunter, Ruud, 2005. "The distribution-free newsboy problem with resalable returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 329-342, September.
- Choi, Tsan-Ming & Chow, Pui-Sze, 2008. "Mean-variance analysis of Quick Response Program," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 456-475, August.
- Fang, Xin & Zhang, Cheng & Robb, David J. & Blackburn, Joseph D., 2013. "Decision support for lead time and demand variability reduction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 390-396.
- Patil, Rahul & Avittathur, Balram & Shah, Janat, 2010. "Supply chain strategies based on recourse model for very short life cycle products," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 3-10, November.
- Wanke, Peter F., 2008. "The uniform distribution as a first practical approach to new product inventory management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 811-819, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.