On the Number of State Variables in Options Pricing
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate the methodological issue of determining the number of state variables required for options pricing. After showing the inadequacy of the principal component analysis approach, which is commonly used in the literature, we adopt a nonparametric regression technique with nonlinear principal components extracted from the implied volatilities of various moneyness and maturities as proxies for the transformed state variables. The methodology is applied to the prices of S& P 500 index options from the period 1996-2005. We find that, in addition to the index value itself, two state variables, approximated by the first two nonlinear principal components, are adequate for pricing the index options and fitting the data in both time series and cross sections.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 56 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
options pricing; state variables; nonparametric method; nonlinear principal component analysis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Majewski, A. A. & Bormetti, G. & Corsi, F., 2013.
"Smile from the Past: A general option pricing framework with multiple volatility and leverage components,"
13/11, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Adam Aleksander Majewski & Giacomo Bormetti & Fulvio Corsi, 2014. "Smile from the Past: A general option pricing framework with multiple volatility and leverage components," Papers 1404.3555, arXiv.org.
- Li, Gang & Zhang, Chu, 2013. "Diagnosing affine models of options pricing: Evidence from VIX," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 199-219.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Fusari, Nicola & La Vecchia, Davide, 2013. "Realizing smiles: Options pricing with realized volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 284-304.
- repec:wyi:wpaper:002044 is not listed on IDEAS
- Madan, Dilip B. & Schoutens, Wim, 2013. "Systemic risk tradeoffs and option prices," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 222-230.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.