A Theory of Volatility Spreads
AbstractThis study formalizes the departure between risk-neutral and physical index return volatilities, termed volatility spreads. Theoretically, the departure between risk-neutral and physical index volatility is connected to the higher-order physical return moments and the parameters of the pricing kernel process. This theory predicts positive volatility spreads when investors are risk averse, and when the physical index distribution is negatively skewed and leptokurtic. Our empirical evidence is supportive of the theoretical implications of risk aversion, exposure to tail events, and fatter left-tails of the physical index distribution in markets where volatility is traded.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 52 (2006)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
risk aversion; physical return moments; pricing kernel; risk-neutral volatility; volatility spreads; spanning risk-neutral moments;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tarun Ramadorai, 2012.
"The Secondary Market for Hedge Funds and the Closed Hedge Fund Premium,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 67(2), pages 479-512, 04.
- Ramadorai, Tarun, 2008. "The Secondary Market for Hedge Funds and the Closed-Hedge Fund Premium," CEPR Discussion Papers 6877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Monfort, Alain & Pegoraro, Fulvio, 2012.
"Asset pricing with Second-Order Esscher Transforms,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1678-1687.
- Monfort, A. & Pegoraro, F., 2012. "Asset Pricing with Second-Order Esscher Transforms," Working papers 397, Banque de France.
- Alain MONFORT & Fulvio PEGORARO, 2010. "Asset Pricing with Second-Order Esscher Transforms," Working Papers 2010-54, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Kurov, Alexander, 2012. "What determines the stock market's reaction to monetary policy statements?," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 175-187.
- Fornari, Fabio, 2008.
"Assessing the compensation for volatility risk implicit in interest rate derivatives,"
Working Paper Series
0859, European Central Bank.
- Fornari, Fabio, 2010. "Assessing the compensation for volatility risk implicit in interest rate derivatives," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 722-743, September.
- Juan M. Londono, 2011. "The variance risk premium around the world," International Finance Discussion Papers 1035, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bruno Feunou & Jean-Sébastien & Abderrahim Taamouti & Roméo Tédongap, 2011.
"Risk premium, variance premium and the maturity structure of uncertainty,"
Economics Working Papers
we1144, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Bruno Feunou & Jean-Sébastien Fontaine & Abderrahim Taamouti & Roméo Tedongap, 2012. "Risk Premium, Variance Premium and the Maturity Structure of Uncertainty," Working Papers 12-11, Bank of Canada.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Panayotov, George & Skoulakis, Georgios, 2011. "Improving the predictability of real economic activity and asset returns with forward variances inferred from option portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 475-495, June.
- Maheu, John M. & McCurdy, Thomas H. & Zhao, Xiaofei, 2013.
"Do jumps contribute to the dynamics of the equity premium?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 457-477.
- John M. Maheu & Thomas H. McCurdy & Xiaofei Zhao, 2012. "Do Jumps Contribute to the Dynamics of the Equity Premium?," Working Paper Series 47_12, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Della Corte, Pasquale & Sarno, Lucio & Tsiakas, Ilias, 2011.
"Spot and forward volatility in foreign exchange,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 100(3), pages 496-513, June.
- Maneesoonthorn, Worapree & Martin, Gael M. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Grose, Simone D., 2012.
"Probabilistic forecasts of volatility and its risk premia,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 217-236.
- Worapree Maneesoonthorn & Gael M. Martin & Catherine S. Forbes & Simone Grose, 2010. "Probabilistic Forecasts of Volatility and its Risk Premia," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 22/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Ceylan, Ozcan, 2012. "Time-Varying Volatility Asymmetry: A Conditioned HAR-RV(CJ) EGARCH-M Model," GIAM Working Papers 12-4, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Madan, Dilip & Panayotov, George, 2010. "Returns of claims on the upside and the viability of U-shaped pricing kernels," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 130-154, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.