Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to develop an approach to a resource-allocation problem that typically appears in organizations with a centralized decision-making environment, for example, supermarket chains, banks, and universities. The central unit is assumed to be interested in maximizing the total amount of outputs produced by the individual units by allocating available resources to them. We will develop an interactive formal approach based on data envelopment analysis (DEA) and multiple-objective linear programming (MOLP) to find the most preferred allocation plan. The units are assumed to be able to modify their production in the current production possibility set within certain assumptions. Various assumptions are considered concerning returns to scale and the ability of each unit to modify its production plan. Numerical examples are used to illustrate the approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 50 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
resource allocation; data envelopment analysis; frontier analysis; multiple-objective linear programming;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Nielsen, Kurt, 2002. "Internet Based Benchmarking," Unit of Economics Working papers 24215, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- White, Sheneeta W. & Badinelli, Ralph D., 2012. "A model for efficiency-based resource integration in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 439-447.
- Amirteimoori, Alireza & Kordrostami, Sohrab, 2012. "Production planning in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 212-218.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Bouye, Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Vestergaard, Niels, 2008.
"Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a German bank branch network: Exploring some strategic scenarios,"
2008/59, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Bouye Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Ignace Van de Woestyne & Niels Vestergaard, 2008. "Optimal Capacity Utilization and Reallocation in a German Bank Branch Network: Exploring Some Strategic Scenarios," Working Papers 2008-ECO-19, IESEG School of Management.
- Ramli, Azizul Azhar & Watada, Junzo & Pedrycz, Witold, 2011. "Real-time fuzzy regression analysis: A convex hull approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 606-617, May.
- HOSSEINZADEH LOTFI, Farhad & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & AGRELL, Per & GHOLAMI, Kobra, 2013. "Centralized resource reduction and target setting under DEA control," CORE Discussion Papers 2013005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Whittaker, Gerald & Confesor Jr., Remegio & Griffith, Stephen M. & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Steiner, Jeffrey J. & Mueller-Warrant, George W. & Banowetz, Gary M., 2009. "A hybrid genetic algorithm for multiobjective problems with activity analysis-based local search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 195-203, February.
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Bi, Gong-bing, 2010. "DEA-based production planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 105-112, February.
- Du, Juan & Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2014. "Fixed cost and resource allocation based on DEA cross-efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(1), pages 206-214.
- Lau, Kwok Hung, 2013. "Measuring distribution efficiency of a retail network through data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 598-611.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Chern, Ching-Chin & Hsiao, Bo, 2013. "Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 119-130.
- Fang, Lei, 2013. "A generalized DEA model for centralized resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(2), pages 405-412.
- Andersen, Jesper Levring & Bogetoft, Peter, 2003. "Quota Trading and Profitability: Theoretical Models and Applications to Danish Fisheries," Unit of Economics Working papers 24180, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.