Resource Allocation Based on Efficiency Analysis
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to develop an approach to a resource-allocation problem that typically appears in organizations with a centralized decision-making environment, for example, supermarket chains, banks, and universities. The central unit is assumed to be interested in maximizing the total amount of outputs produced by the individual units by allocating available resources to them. We will develop an interactive formal approach based on data envelopment analysis (DEA) and multiple-objective linear programming (MOLP) to find the most preferred allocation plan. The units are assumed to be able to modify their production in the current production possibility set within certain assumptions. Various assumptions are considered concerning returns to scale and the ability of each unit to modify its production plan. Numerical examples are used to illustrate the approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 50 (2004)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
resource allocation; data envelopment analysis; frontier analysis; multiple-objective linear programming;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Nielsen, Kurt, 2002. "Internet Based Benchmarking," Unit of Economics Working papers 24215, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Bouye Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Ignace Van de Woestyne & Niels Vestergaard, 2008.
"Optimal Capacity Utilization and Reallocation in a German Bank Branch Network: Exploring Some Strategic Scenarios,"
2008-ECO-19, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Bouye, Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Vestergaard, Niels, 2008. "Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a German bank branch network: Exploring some strategic scenarios," Working Papers 2008/59, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- White, Sheneeta W. & Badinelli, Ralph D., 2012. "A model for efficiency-based resource integration in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 439-447.
- HOSSEINZADEH LOTFI, Farhad & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & AGRELL, Per & GHOLAMI, Kobra, 2013. "Centralized resource reduction and target setting under DEA control," CORE Discussion Papers 2013005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lau, Kwok Hung, 2013. "Measuring distribution efficiency of a retail network through data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 598-611.
- Fang, Lei, 2013. "A generalized DEA model for centralized resource allocation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 228(2), pages 405-412.
- Andersen, Jesper Levring & Bogetoft, Peter, 2003. "Quota Trading and Profitability: Theoretical Models and Applications to Danish Fisheries," Unit of Economics Working papers 24180, Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University, Food and Resource Economic Institute.
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Bi, Gong-bing, 2010. "DEA-based production planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 105-112, February.
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Chern, Ching-Chin & Hsiao, Bo, 2013. "Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 119-130.
- Whittaker, Gerald & Confesor Jr., Remegio & Griffith, Stephen M. & Färe, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Steiner, Jeffrey J. & Mueller-Warrant, George W. & Banowetz, Gary M., 2009. "A hybrid genetic algorithm for multiobjective problems with activity analysis-based local search," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 195-203, February.
- Amirteimoori, Alireza & Kordrostami, Sohrab, 2012. "Production planning in data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 212-218.
- Ramli, Azizul Azhar & Watada, Junzo & Pedrycz, Witold, 2011. "Real-time fuzzy regression analysis: A convex hull approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 606-617, May.
- Vestergaard, Niels & Squires, Dale & Kerstens, Kristiaan, 2005. "Methodological Reflections on the Short-Run Johansen Industry Model in Relation to Capacity Management," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 20(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.