Sequencing JIT Mixed-Model Assembly Lines Under Station-Load and Part-Usage Constraints
AbstractThis paper deals with two most important problems, from both practical and theoretical standpoints, arising in sequencing mixed-model assembly lines. Such lines have become core components of modern repetitive manufacturing, and just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing in particular. One problem is to keep the usage rate of all parts fed into the final assembly as constant as possible (the "level-scheduling problem"), while the other is to keep the line's workstation loads as constant as possible (the "car-sequencing problem"). In this paper the combined problem is formulated as a single-integer programming model. The LP-relaxation of this model is solved by column-generation techniques. The results of an experimental evaluation show that the lower bounds are tight.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Mixed-model Assembly Lines; Just-in-Time Production; Station-Load/Part-Usage Constraints; Set Partitioning/Column Generation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chatterjee A K & Mukherjee, Saral, . "Unified Concept of Bottleneck," IIMA Working Papers WP2006-05-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2007.
"Sequencing mixed-model assembly lines: Survey, classification and model critique,"
Jena Research Papers in Business and Economics - Working and Discussion Papers
02/2007, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, School of Economics and Business Administration.
- Boysen, Nils & Fliedner, Malte & Scholl, Armin, 2009. "Sequencing mixed-model assembly lines: Survey, classification and model critique," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(2), pages 349-373, January.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2006. "Produktionsplanung bei Variantenfließfertigung: Planungshierarchie und Hierarchische Planung," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 22/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Nils Boysen & Uli Golle & Franz Rothlauf, 2011. "The Car Resequencing Problem with Pull-Off Tables," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 276-292, December.
- Nils Boysen & Malte Fliedner & Armin Scholl, 2006. "Level-Scheduling bei Variantenfließfertigung: Klassifikation, Literaturüberblick und Modellkritik," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 26/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Giard, Vincent & Jeunet, Jully, 2010. "Optimal sequencing of mixed models with sequence-dependent setups and utility workers on an assembly line," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(2), pages 290-300, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.