Adaptive Memory Tabu Search for Binary Quadratic Programs
AbstractRecent studies have demonstrated the effectiveness of applying adaptive memory tabu search procedures to combinatorial optimization problems. In this paper we describe the development and use of such an approach to solve binary quadratic programs. Computational experience is reported, showing that the approach optimally solves the most difficult problems reported in the literature. For challenging problems of limited size, which are capable of being approached by exact procedures, we find optimal solutions considerably faster than the best reported exact method. Moreover, we demonstrate that our approach is significantly more efficient and yields better solutions than the best heuristic method reported to date. Finally, we give outcomes for larger problems that are considerably more challenging than any currently reported in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Integer Programming; Heuristics; Nonlinear Optimization;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Yang & Lü, Zhipeng & Glover, Fred & Hao, Jin-Kao, 2012. "Path relinking for unconstrained binary quadratic programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(3), pages 595-604.
- Goldengorin, Boris & Ghosh, Diptesh, 2004. "ï»¿A Multilevel Search Algorithm for the Maximization of Submodular Functions," Research Report 04A20, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Mauri, Geraldo Regis & Lorena, Luiz Antonio Nogueira, 2012. "A column generation approach for the unconstrained binary quadratic programming problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(1), pages 69-74.
- Tao Pham Dinh & Nam Nguyen Canh & Hoai Le Thi, 2010. "An efficient combined DCA and B&B using DC/SDP relaxation for globally solving binary quadratic programs," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 595-632, December.
- Katayama, Kengo & Narihisa, Hiroyuki, 2001. "Performance of simulated annealing-based heuristic for the unconstrained binary quadratic programming problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 134(1), pages 103-119, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.