Clearance Pricing and Inventory Policies for Retail Chains
AbstractClearance pricing and end of season inventory management are challenging and important problems in retailing. Sales rates depend upon price, seasonal effects, and the remaining assortment of items available to customers. There is little time to react to observed sales, and pricing errors result in either loss of potential revenue or excess inventory to be liquidated. This paper develops optimal clearance prices and inventory management policies that take into account the impact of reduced assortment and seasonal changes on sales rates. Versions of these policies have been tested and implemented at three major retail chains and these applications are summarized and discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Marketing; Pricing; Retailing;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bellantuono, Nicola & Giannoccaro, Ilaria & Pontrandolfo, Pierpaolo & Tang, Christopher S., 2009. "The implications of joint adoption of revenue sharing and advance booking discount programs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 383-394, October.
- Vörös, József, 2003.
"A minőség figyelembevételének szükségessége az egyensúlyi állapot meghatározásában
[The need to consider quality when determining a state of equilibrium]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(1), pages 6-21.
- Istvan, Bessenyei, 2005. "Does market value maximization affect the order of resource exploitation?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 1090-1104, December.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2003. "Smart Pricing: Linking Pricing Decisions with Operational Insights," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2004-001-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Martha Starr-McCluer, 2000. "The effects of weather on retail sales," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-08, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Voros, Jozsef, 2002. "Product balancing under conditions of quality inflation, cost pressures and growth strategies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 153-166, August.
- Huang, Kwei-Long & Kuo, Chia-Wei & Lu, Ming-Lun, 2014. "Wholesale price rebate vs. capacity expansion: The optimal strategy for seasonal products in a supply chain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 234(1), pages 77-85.
- Chatwin, Richard E., 2000. "Optimal dynamic pricing of perishable products with stochastic demand and a finite set of prices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 149-174, August.
- Chen, Liang-Tu, 2014. "Optimal dynamic policies for integrated production and marketing planning in business-to-business marketplaces," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 46-53.
- Baruah, Pundarikaksha, 2006. "Supply Chains Facing Atypical Demand: Optimal Operational Policies And Benefits Under Information Sharing," MPRA Paper 16101, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferrer, Juan-Carlos & Oyarzún, Diego & Vera, Jorge, 2012. "Risk averse retail pricing with robust demand forecasting," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 151-160.
- Nair, Anand & Closs, David J., 2006. "An examination of the impact of coordinating supply chain policies and price markdowns on short lifecycle product retail performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 379-392, August.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2005. "A Dynamic Pricing Model for Coordinated Sales and Operations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-074-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.