Decision Support for Target-Based Resource Allocation of Public Services in Multiunit and Multilevel Systems
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the problem of resource allocation and target setting in the provision of public services. The paper develops a network-based representation of multilevel resource management with equity, efficiency, and effectiveness being recognised as the fundamental objectives of the system. On the modelling side, the proposed method combines data envelopment analysis and goal programming formulations integrated within an interactive planning framework. An illustrative application on fire departments is used to show the applicability of the method developed to assist the resource allocation process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Equity; Efficiency; Effectiveness; Resource Allocation; Data Envelopment Analysis; Goal Programming; Public Services; Incentives;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Castelli, Lorenzo & Pesenti, Raffaele & Ukovich, Walter, 2004. "DEA-like models for the efficiency evaluation of hierarchically structured units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 465-476, April.
- White, Sheneeta W. & Badinelli, Ralph D., 2012. "A model for efficiency-based resource integration in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 439-447.
- Caballero, Rafael & Galache, Teodoro & Gomez, Trinidad & Molina, Julian & Torrico, Angel, 2004. "Budgetary allocations and efficiency in the human resources policy of a university following multiple criteria," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 67-74, February.
- Giokas, Dimitris I., 2001. "Greek hospitals: how well their resources are used," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 73-83, February.
- HOSSEINZADEH LOTFI, Farhad & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & AGRELL, Per & GHOLAMI, Kobra, 2013. "Centralized resource reduction and target setting under DEA control," CORE Discussion Papers 2013005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Yu, Ming-Miin & Chern, Ching-Chin & Hsiao, Bo, 2013. "Human resource rightsizing using centralized data envelopment analysis: Evidence from Taiwan's Airports," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 119-130.
- Pachkova, Elena V., 2009. "Restricted reallocation of resources," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1049-1057, August.
- Lozano, S. & Villa, G. & Adenso-Díaz, B., 2004. "Centralised target setting for regional recycling operations using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 101-110, April.
- Du, Juan & Cook, Wade D. & Liang, Liang & Zhu, Joe, 2014. "Fixed cost and resource allocation based on DEA cross-efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(1), pages 206-214.
- Gabriel Villa & Sebastián Lozano & Berlarmino Adenso-Díaz, 2005. "Reasignación de contenedores de vidrio en los municipios asturianos," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 191-211.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.