Interfunctional Conflict, Conflict Resolution Styles, and New Product Success: A Four-Culture Comparison
AbstractThis paper develops a model relating innovation success to the level of interfunctional conflict and conflict resolution methods. The model suggests a concave relationship between performance and the level of interfunctional conflict among marketing, R&D, and manufacturing. It also conjectures that both national culture and the level of interfunctional conflict influence the effectiveness of different conflict resolution methods. An empirical test of the proposed framework involves a survey of 968 marketing managers from Japan, Hong Kong, the United States, and Great Britain. The results provide general support for the model's predictions and reveal several significant cross-national differences.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 12-Part-2 (December)
New Product Development; Conflict Management; Cross-function Integration; Cross-cultural Study;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuijpers, Maarten & Guenter, Hannes & Hussinger, Katrin, 2011.
"Costs and benefits of inter-departmental innovation collaboration,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-003, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cuijpers, Maarten & Guenter, Hannes & Hussinger, Katrin, 2011. "Costs and benefits of inter-departmental innovation collaboration," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 565-575, May.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Rønde, Thomas, 2009. "Leveraging resistance to change and the skunk works model of innovation," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 274-289, October.
- White, George O. & Hadjimarcou, John & Fainshmidt, Stav & Posthuma, Richard A., 2013. "MNE home country cultural norms and conflict strategy fit in transnational business contract disputes," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 554-567.
- Ehie, Ike C., 2010. "The impact of conflict on manufacturing decisions and company performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 145-157, August.
- Engelen, Andreas, 2010. "Entrepreneurial orientation as a function of national cultural variations in two countries," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 354-368, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.