Dynamic Asset Allocation in a Mean-Variance Framework
AbstractThe aim of this article is to analyze the portfolio strategies that are mean-variance efficient when continuous rebalancing is allowed between the current date (0) and the horizon (T). Under very general assumptions, when a zero-coupon bond of maturity T exists, the dynamic efficient frontier is a straight line, the slope of which is explicitly characterized. Every dynamic mean-variance efficient strategy can be viewed as buy and hold combinations of two funds: the zero-coupon bond of maturity T and a continuously rebalanced portfolio. An appropriate dynamic strategy defining the latter is explicitly derived for two particular price processes and comparisons of the Efficient Frontiers (Static versus Dynamic) are provided in these cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 11-Part-2 (November)
Portfolio Selection Model; Mean-Variance Analysis; Dynamic Strategies;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elena Vigna, 2009. "Mean-variance inefficiency of CRRA and CARA utility functions for portfolio selection in defined contribution pension schemes," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 108, Collegio Carlo Alberto, revised 2009.
- Nguyen, Pascal & Portait, Roland, 2002. "Dynamic asset allocation with mean variance preferences and a solvency constraint," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 11-32, January.
- Cvitanic, Jaksa & Lazrak, Ali & Wang, Tan, 2008. "Implications of the Sharpe ratio as a performance measure in multi-period settings," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1622-1649, May.
- Suleyman Basak & Georgy Chabakauri, 2010.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 2970-3016, August.
- Boulier, Jean-Francois & Huang, ShaoJuan & Taillard, Gregory, 2001. "Optimal management under stochastic interest rates: the case of a protected defined contribution pension fund," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 173-189, April.
- El Karoui, Nicole & Jeanblanc, Monique & Lacoste, Vincent, 2005. "Optimal portfolio management with American capital guarantee," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 449-468, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.