Innovation, Competitive Advantage and Rent: A Model and Test
AbstractFour antecedents, it is argued, are necessary precursors for a firm to capture rents from innovation. The antecedents are causal understanding; innovation team proficiency; emergence and mobilization of new competences; and creation of competitive advantages, each of which are conceptually distinct and precisely defined in the paper. These constructs are linked together in a stage model and subsequently operationalized and tested using LISREL. Substantial support is found for the central thesis, that achieving each of the four antecedent processes increases the predicted rents from an innovation project.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 42 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
innovation; competitive advantage; LISREL analysis; competences; capabilities;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Covin, Jeffrey G. & Kuratko, Donald F., 2009. "Project failure from corporate entrepreneurship: Managing the grief process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 588-600, November.
- Özlem Yaþar Uðurlu & Nurettin Ýbrahimoðlu & Sibel Ayas, 2013. "A Content Analysis on Management Fashions in Turkish Manufacturing Companies," International Review of Management and Marketing, Econjournals, vol. 3(4), pages 164 - 183.
- Briand-Decre, Gwenaëlle & Royer, Isabelle, 2008. "Champions pour le meilleur et pour le pire : propositions de résolution du paradoxe entre les littératures sur le champion et sur l’escalade de l’engagement," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2966, Paris Dauphine University.
- Thierry Burger-Helmchen, 2006.
"Option chain and change management : a structural equation application,"
Working Papers of BETA
2006-28, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Burger-Helmchen, Thierry, 2009. "Option chain and change management: A structural equation application," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 176-186, June.
- Nerkar, Atul A. & McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C., 1996. "Three facets of satisfaction and their influence on the performance of innovation teams," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 167-188, May.
- Dimária Silva e Meirelles & Eduardo Sérgio Ulrich Pace & Leonardo Fernando Cruz Basso, 2005. "The Contributions Of Firm'S Productive Assets To Its Competitive Performance: A Resource-Based View Approach In The Software Sector," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 103, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Amason, Allen C. & Shrader, Rodney C. & Tompson, George H., 2006. "Newness and novelty: Relating top management team composition to new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 125-148, January.
- Gunday, Gurhan & Ulusoy, Gunduz & Kilic, Kemal & Alpkan, Lutfihak, 2011. "Effects of innovation types on firm performance," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 662-676, October.
- Chowdhury, Sanjib, 2005. "Demographic diversity for building an effective entrepreneurial team: is it important?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 727-746, November.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Fernando Ribeiro Serra & Emerson Maccari, 2013. "When the innovator fails to capture rents from innovation," Working Papers 101, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Karim Moustaghfir, 2012. "Explicating Knowledge-based Competitive Advantage," International Journal of Synergy and Research, ToKnowPress, vol. 1(1), pages 23-38.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.