Pricing Strategies in a Dynamic Duopoly: A Differential Game Model
AbstractWe formulate a differential game model for dynamic pricing in a duopolistic market. Firms' demand functions are derived from utility maximizing behavior of consumers with the demand for a brand given by the logit model. Preferences for brands are assumed to evolve over time in the market in a manner akin to learning models postulated in the marketing literature. We derive the differential equations governing the equilibrium open-loop price paths over time and show that in steady state, the brand with the higher preference level charges the higher price. The formulation is extended to include the effects of consumer heterogeneity, and equilibrium steady-state prices are compared with those obtained when heterogeneity is ignored. A comparison of steady-state dynamic prices with myopic prices is provided. An empirical example is discussed to show how steady-state model predictions may be obtained from actual longitudinal purchase data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 42 (1996)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
competitive strategy; pricing; differential games;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mak, Vincent & Rapoport, Amnon & Gisches, Eyran J., 2012. "Competitive dynamic pricing with alternating offers: Theory and experiment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 250-264.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Martín-Herrán, Guiomar & Taboubi, Sihem, 2009. "Could myopic pricing be a strategic choice in marketing channels? A game theoretic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1699-1718, September.
- Kalyan Talluri & Víctor Martínez de Albéniz, 2010. "Dynamic price competition with fixed capacities," Economics Working Papers 1205, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Richards, Timothy J., 2002. "Dynamic Strategic Interaction: A Synthesis Of Modeling Methods," Western Economics Forum, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 1(01).
- Hopkins, Ed, 2007.
"Adaptive learning models of consumer behavior,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 64(3-4), pages 348-368.
- Ed Hopkins, 2004. "Adaptive Learning Models of Consumer Behaviour," ESE Discussion Papers 121, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Ed Hopkins, 2006. "Adaptive Learning Models of Consumer Behaviour," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000658, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ed Hopkins, 2010. "Adaptive Learning Models of Consumer Behaviour," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000346, David K. Levine.
- Martín-Herrán, Guiomar & Taboubi, Sihem & Zaccour, Georges, 2012. "Dual role of price and myopia in a marketing channel," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(2), pages 284-295.
- Sunil Gupta & Carl F. Mela & Jose M. Vidal-Sanz, 2009. "The value of a "free" customer," Business Economics Working Papers wb092903, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Liberali, Guilherme & Gruca, Thomas S. & Nique, Walter M., 2011. "The effects of sensitization and habituation in durable goods markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 212(2), pages 398-410, July.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2002. "Strategic Interaction With Multiple Tools: A New Empirical Model," Working Papers 28545, Arizona State University, Morrison School of Agribusiness and Resource Management.
- Lu, Jye-Chyi & Tsao, Yu-Chung & Charoensiriwath, Chayakrit & Dong, Ming, 2012. "Dynamic decision-making in a two-stage supply chain with repeated transactions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 211-225.
- Zhao, Li & Tian, Peng & Xiangyong Li, 2012. "Dynamic pricing in the presence of consumer inertia," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 137-148, April.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M., 2006. "Firm-Level Competition in Price and Variety," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Eric Anderson & Nanda Kumar, 2007. "Price competition with repeat, loyal buyers," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 333-359, December.
- Kalyan Talluri & Víctor Martínez de Albéniz, 2010. "Dynamic Price Competition with Fixed Capacities," Working Papers 425, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.