Evaluating Efficiency-Effectiveness-Equality Trade-Offs: A Data Envelopment Analysis Approach
AbstractThis paper presents a resource allocation model based on Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). The model extends the original objective of the DEA methodology from measuring efficiency to include the evaluation of various aspects of effectiveness and equality considerations. The model is formulated as a linear program that can be solved by means of a Dantzig-Wolfe decomposition algorithm. Theoretical properties of the model are compared with those corresponding to the model developed by Mandell (Mandell, M. B. 1991. Modelling effectiveness-equity trade-offs in public service delivery systems. Management Sci. 37(4) 467--482.) to evaluate the trade-off between equity and effectiveness. A numerical example is used to illustrate the comparison between the models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
DEA; efficiency; effectiveness; equality;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kristiaan Kerstens & Bouye Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Ignace Van de Woestyne & Niels Vestergaard, 2008.
"Optimal Capacity Utilization and Reallocation in a German Bank Branch Network: Exploring Some Strategic Scenarios,"
2008-ECO-19, IESEG School of Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Bouye, Ahmed Moulaye Hachem & Van de Woestyne, Ignace & Vestergaard, Niels, 2008. "Optimal capacity utilization and reallocation in a German bank branch network: Exploring some strategic scenarios," Working Papers 2008/59, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Reuben Elan & Verma Bharat Bhushan & Bhat Ramesh, . "Hospital Efficiency: An Empirical Analysis of District and Grant-in-Aid Hospitals in Gujarat," IIMA Working Papers WP2001-07-05, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- E. Anthon Eff, 2004. "A Flexible-Weights School Effectiveness Index," Working Papers 200403, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- White, Sheneeta W. & Badinelli, Ralph D., 2012. "A model for efficiency-based resource integration in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 217(2), pages 439-447.
- HOSSEINZADEH LOTFI, Farhad & HATAMI-MARBINI, Adel & AGRELL, Per & GHOLAMI, Kobra, 2013. "Centralized resource reduction and target setting under DEA control," CORE Discussion Papers 2013005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabriel Villa & Sebastián Lozano & Berlarmino Adenso-Díaz, 2005. "Reasignación de contenedores de vidrio en los municipios asturianos," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 191-211.
- Førsund, Finn R., 2013. "Measuring Efficiency and Effectiveness in the Public Sector," Memorandum 16/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Beasley, J. E., 2003. "Allocating fixed costs and resources via data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 198-216, May.
- Singer, Marcos & Donoso, Patricio & Poblete, Francisco, 2002. "Semi-autonomous planning using linear programming in the Chilean General Treasury," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 517-529, July.
- Athanassopoulos, Antreas D., 2004. "Using frontier efficiency models as a tool to re-engineer networks of public sector branches: An application to the Hellenic Tobacco Organization," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 533-547, April.
- Lucia Buzzigoli & Antonio Giusti & Alessandro Viviani, 2010. "The Evaluation of University Departments. A Case Study for Firenze," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 24-38, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.