When Can Management Science Research Be Generalized Internationally?
AbstractDiscussion about international generalizability has rarely addressed the full scope of management science research. This paper identifies a number of obstacles to international generalizability, and shows how they affect technical systems research and social systems research in different ways. Examples of management science research are examined critically for their validity elsewhere in the world. Implications are discussed for the interpretation of existing research and for the design of research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jawad Syed, 2008. "A context-specific perspective of equal employment opportunity in Islamic societies," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 135-151, January.
- Moon, Hwy-Chang & Roehl, Thomas W., 2001. "Unconventional foreign direct investment and the imbalance theory," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 197-215, April.
- Doran, KathleenBrewer, 2002. "Lessons learned in cross-cultural research of Chinese and North American consumers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(10), pages 823-829, October.
- Liker, Jeffrey K. & Kamath, Rajan R. & Nazli Wasti, S. & Nagamachi, Mitsuo, 1996. "Supplier involvement in automotive component design: are there really large US Japan differences?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 59-89, January.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Dan Li & Stephen Guisinger, 2007. "Is the 'International Business Environment' the Actual Context for IB Research?," Working Papers, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria 2, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Harzing, Anne-Wil, 1997. "Response rates in international mail surveys: Results of a 22-country study," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(6), pages 641-665, December.
- Igbaria, M. & Iivari, J., 1995. "The effects of self-efficacy on computer usage," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 587-605, December.
- Yoo, Boonghee & Donthu, Naveen, 2001. "Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 1-14, April.
- Lin, Winston T. & Chiang, Chung-Yean, 2011. "The impacts of country characteristics upon the value of information technology as measured by productive efficiency," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 13-33, July.
- Wu, Sarah Jinhui & Zhang, Dongli, 2013. "Analyzing the effectiveness of quality management practices in China," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 281-289.
- McGuire, Jean & Dow, Sandra, 2002. "The Japanese keiretsu system: an empirical analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 33-40, January.
- Jansen, E. Pieter & Merchant, Kenneth A. & Van der Stede, Wim A., 2009. "National differences in incentive compensation practices: The differing roles of financial performance measurement in the United States and the Netherlands," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 58-84, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.