Business and Technology Strategies and New Venture Performance: A Study of the Telecommunications Equipment Industry
AbstractIn this paper, a set of hypotheses relating competitive and cooperative business strategies and technology strategies to new venture performance are developed. These hypotheses are tested using data collected from the Initial Public Offering (IPO) documents of a sample of 52 new ventures in the telecommunications equipment industry. This industry has experienced a great deal of technological change as computer and telephone technologies have merged allowing a variety of new ventures to successfully enter the industry. The results suggest that new ventures pursuing broad cost leadership strategies were more successful. Investments in innovation in terms of relative R&D expenditures were also related to higher performance. Finally, significant interaction effects between investments in innovation and competitive strategies and performance were found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 40 (1994)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
technology strategy; business strategy; new ventures; performance; telecommunications industry;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- García-Villaverde, Pedro M. & Ruiz-Ortega, María J. & Parra-Requena, Gloria, 2012. "Towards a comprehensive model of entry timing in the ICT industry: Direct and indirect effects," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 297-310.
- Gupta, A. & Chen, I. J. & Chiang, D., 1997. "Determining organizational structure choices in advanced manufacturing technology management," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 511-521, October.
- Daniel Tarka & Kanes Rajah, 2005.
"Management team and technology strategy for success of high- growth SMEs,"
- Daniel Tarka & Kanes Rajah, 2005. "Management team and technology strategy for success of high- growth SMEs," Macroeconomics 0506006, EconWPA.
- Liu, John & Yao, Dongqing, 1999. "Strategic options in re-engineering of a manufacturing system with uncertain completion time," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 47-58, May.
- Rosenbusch, Nina & Brinckmann, Jan & Bausch, Andreas, 2011. "Is innovation always beneficial? A meta-analysis of the relationship between innovation and performance in SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 441-457, July.
- Tsai, Ming-Tien & Li, Yong-Hui, 2007. "Knowledge creation process in new venture strategy and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 371-381, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.