A Modeling Framework for Coordinating Promotion and Production Decisions within a Firm
AbstractThis paper presents a modeling framework for evaluating the benefits of coordinating promotion and production decisions over a finite planning horizon within a firm. These decisions include the timing and level of promotion, and the level of production. The modeling framework consists of the development of a baseline model and an integrated model. In the baseline (integrated) model, the firm would consider those promotion and production decisions separately (jointly). For each of the models, we formulate the problem that determines the optimal promotion and production decisions so that the total net profit is maximized as a mixed integer program. By exploiting the structure of the problem, we show that each problem can be reformulated as a "longest path" problem over a network. Hence, each problem can be solved efficiently. This solution approach enables us to evaluate the benefits of coordinating promotion and production decisions by comparing the total net profit generated by the baseline model to that of the integrated model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 39 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
marketing/manufacturing interface; promotion; production; networks;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erickson, Gary M., 2011. "A differential game model of the marketing-operations interface," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 394-402, June.
- Tang, Christopher S., 2010. "A review of marketing-operations interface models: From co-existence to coordination and collaboration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 22-40, May.
- Ghose, Sanjoy & Liu, John J. & Bhatnagar, Amit & Kurata, Hisashi, 2005. "Modeling the role of retail price formats, and retailer competition types on production schedule strategy," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 173-184, July.
- Fleischmann, M. & Hall, J.M. & Pyke, D.F., 2005. "A Dynamic Pricing Model for Coordinated Sales and Operations," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2005-074-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Zhang, Ju-Liang & Chen, Jian & Lee, Chung-Yee, 2008. "Joint optimization on pricing, promotion and inventory control with stochastic demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 190-198, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.