Information Technology Implementation Research: A Technological Diffusion Approach
AbstractBased on the innovation and technological diffusion literatures, promising research questions concerning the implementation of a production and inventory control information system (material requirements planning: MRP) are identified and empirically examined. These questions focus on the interaction of managerial tasks with the information technology and the resulting effect on the adoption and infusion of that technology. Using a random sample of manufacturing firms across the United States, we find that this interaction does indeed affect the adoption of MRP, though it does not seem to affect MRP infusion. These results support the notion that though rational decision models may be useful in explaining information technology adoption, political and learning models may be more useful when examining infusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
MIS implementation; innovation; diffusion; material requirements planning systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lee, Yong-Ki & Park, Jong-Hyun & Chung, Namho & Blakeney, Alisha, 2012. "A unified perspective on the factors influencing usage intention toward mobile financial services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(11), pages 1590-1599.
- Kim, Sang-Hoon & Park, Hyun Jung, 2011. "Effects of social influence on consumers' voluntary adoption of innovations prompted by others," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1190-1194.
- Yan, Hong-Sen & Ma, Kai-Ping, 2011. "Competitive diffusion process of repurchased products in knowledgeable manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(3), pages 243-252, February.
- Orlikowski, Wanda J. (Wanda Janina)., 2003. "Radical and incremental innovations in systems development : an empirical investigation of case tools," Working papers no. 221, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Eddy Cardinaels & Filip Roodhooft & Gustaaf Van Herck, 2004.
"Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2004-09, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Cardinaels, Eddy & Roodhooft, Filip & Herck, Gustaaf van, 2004. "Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 239-252, August.
- Everdingen, Y.M. van & Wierenga, B., 2001. "Intra-Firm Adoption Decisions," Research Paper ERS-2001-21-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Vachara Peansupap & Derek Walker, 2006. "Innovation diffusion at the implementation stage of a construction project: a case study of information communication technology," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3), pages 321-332.
- Sandoss Benabid & Gilles Grolleau, 2003. "Les nouvelles technologies de l'information et de la communication : un instrument potentiel au service de l'économie sociale ?," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(1), pages 139-155.
- Fuentelsaz, Lucio & Gómez, Jaime & Palomas, Sergio, 2009. "The effects of new technologies on productivity: An intrafirm diffusion-based assessment," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1172-1180, September.
- Rukanova, B. & Henriksen, H.Z. & Stijn, E. van, 2009. "Bringing is innovation in a highly-regulated environment: a collective action perspective," Serie Research Memoranda 0012, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Amit Saini & Rajdeep Grewal & Jean Johnson, 2010. "Putting market-facing technology to work: Organizational drivers of CRM performance," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 365-383, December.
- de Vaujany, François-Xavier, 2008. "Strategic Alignment: What Else? A Practice Based View of IS Value," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4820, Paris Dauphine University.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E. W. T., 2004. "Information systems in supply chain integration and management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 269-295, December.
- Zhang, Cheng & Dhaliwal, Jasbir, 2009. "An investigation of resource-based and institutional theoretic factors in technology adoption for operations and supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 252-269, July.
- Huh, Young Eun & Kim, Sang-Hoon, 2008. "Do early adopters upgrade early? Role of post-adoption behavior in the purchase of next-generation products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 40-46, January.
- Manthou, Vassiliki & Vlachopoulou, Maro & Theodorou, Petros, 1996. "The implementation and use of material requirements planning system in Northern Greece: A case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-3), pages 187-193, August.
- Hezewijk, A.P. van & Assen, M.F. van & Velde, S.L. van de, 2003. "The impact of innovation and organizational factors on APS adoption: Evidence from the Dutch discrete parts industry," Research Paper ERS-2003-084-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Askarany, Davood & Yazdifar, Hassan, 2012. "An investigation into the mixed reported adoption rates for ABC: Evidence from Australia, New Zealand and the UK," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 430-439.
- Chiara Verbano & Karen Venturini & Giorgio Petroni & Anna Nosella, 2008. "Characteristics of Italian art restoration firms and factors influencing their adoption of laser technology," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 3-34, March.
- BarNir, Anat & Gallaugher, John M. & Auger, Pat, 2003. "Business process digitization, strategy, and the impact of firm age and size: the case of the magazine publishing industry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 789-814, November.
- Ranjit Bose & Xin (Robert) Luo, 2012. "Green IT adoption: a process management approach," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(1), pages 63-77.
- Nelson, Matthew L. & Shaw, Michael J., 2005. "Interorganizational System Standards Diffusion: The Role of Industry-Based Standards Development Organizations," Working Papers 05-0126, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.