Information Technology Implementation Research: A Technological Diffusion Approach
AbstractBased on the innovation and technological diffusion literatures, promising research questions concerning the implementation of a production and inventory control information system (material requirements planning: MRP) are identified and empirically examined. These questions focus on the interaction of managerial tasks with the information technology and the resulting effect on the adoption and infusion of that technology. Using a random sample of manufacturing firms across the United States, we find that this interaction does indeed affect the adoption of MRP, though it does not seem to affect MRP infusion. These results support the notion that though rational decision models may be useful in explaining information technology adoption, political and learning models may be more useful when examining infusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (1990)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
MIS implementation; innovation; diffusion; material requirements planning systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vachara Peansupap & Derek Walker, 2006. "Innovation diffusion at the implementation stage of a construction project: a case study of information communication technology," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(3), pages 321-332.
- Nelson, Matthew L. & Shaw, Michael J., 2005. "Interorganizational System Standards Diffusion: The Role of Industry-Based Standards Development Organizations," Working Papers 05-0126, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Business.
- BarNir, Anat & Gallaugher, John M. & Auger, Pat, 2003. "Business process digitization, strategy, and the impact of firm age and size: the case of the magazine publishing industry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 789-814, November.
- Amit Saini & Rajdeep Grewal & Jean Johnson, 2010. "Putting market-facing technology to work: Organizational drivers of CRM performance," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 365-383, December.
- Eddy Cardinaels & Filip Roodhooft & Gustaaf Van Herck, 2004.
"Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2004-09, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Cardinaels, Eddy & Roodhooft, Filip & Herck, Gustaaf van, 2004. "Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 239-252, August.
- Asimakopoulos, Stavros & Dix, Alan, 2013. "Forecasting support systems technologies-in-practice: A model of adoption and use for product forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 322-336.
- Fuentelsaz, Lucio & Gómez, Jaime & Palomas, Sergio, 2009. "The effects of new technologies on productivity: An intrafirm diffusion-based assessment," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1172-1180, September.
- Huh, Young Eun & Kim, Sang-Hoon, 2008. "Do early adopters upgrade early? Role of post-adoption behavior in the purchase of next-generation products," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 40-46, January.
- Kim, Sang-Hoon & Park, Hyun Jung, 2011. "Effects of social influence on consumers' voluntary adoption of innovations prompted by others," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(11), pages 1190-1194.
- Yan, Hong-Sen & Ma, Kai-Ping, 2011. "Competitive diffusion process of repurchased products in knowledgeable manufacturing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 208(3), pages 243-252, February.
- Chiara Verbano & Karen Venturini & Giorgio Petroni & Anna Nosella, 2008. "Characteristics of Italian art restoration firms and factors influencing their adoption of laser technology," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(1), pages 3-34, March.
- Ram, Jiwat & Corkindale, David & Wu, Ming-Lu, 2013. "Implementation critical success factors (CSFs) for ERP: Do they contribute to implementation success and post-implementation performance?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 157-174.
- Zhang, Cheng & Dhaliwal, Jasbir, 2009. "An investigation of resource-based and institutional theoretic factors in technology adoption for operations and supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 252-269, July.
- Ranjit Bose & Xin (Robert) Luo, 2012. "Green IT adoption: a process management approach," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 20(1), pages 63-77.
- Manthou, Vassiliki & Vlachopoulou, Maro & Theodorou, Petros, 1996. "The implementation and use of material requirements planning system in Northern Greece: A case study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-3), pages 187-193, August.
- Sandoss Benabid & Gilles Grolleau, 2003. "Les nouvelles technologies de l'information et de la communication : un instrument potentiel au service de l'économie sociale ?," Innovations, De Boeck Université, vol. 17(1), pages 139-155.
- de Vaujany, François-Xavier, 2008. "Strategic Alignment: What Else? A Practice Based View of IS Value," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4820, Paris Dauphine University.
- van Everdingen, Y.M. & Wierenga, B., 2001. "Intra-Firm Adoption Decisions," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-21-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Orlikowski, Wanda J. (Wanda Janina)., 2003. "Radical and incremental innovations in systems development : an empirical investigation of case tools," Working papers no. 221, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Rukanova, B. & Henriksen, H.Z. & Stijn, E. van, 2009. "Bringing is innovation in a highly-regulated environment: a collective action perspective," Serie Research Memoranda 0012, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Lee, Yong-Ki & Park, Jong-Hyun & Chung, Namho & Blakeney, Alisha, 2012. "A unified perspective on the factors influencing usage intention toward mobile financial services," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(11), pages 1590-1599.
- Askarany, Davood & Yazdifar, Hassan, 2012. "An investigation into the mixed reported adoption rates for ABC: Evidence from Australia, New Zealand and the UK," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 430-439.
- Gunasekaran, A. & Ngai, E. W. T., 2004. "Information systems in supply chain integration and management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 269-295, December.
- Jiang Yu & Yue Zhang, 2013. "Institutional Arrangement, Technological Innovation and Application Evolution: The Rise of China’S Emerging Computing Infrastructure," Diversity, Technology, and Innovation for Operational Competitiveness: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Technology Innovation and Industrial Management, ToKnowPress.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.