User Delay Costs and Internal Pricing for a Service Facility
AbstractThis paper studies optimal pricing and capacity decisions for a service facility in an environment where users' delay cost is important. The model assumes a general nonlinear delay cost structure and incorporates the tradeoff between the delay cost and capacity cost. We find necessary and sufficient conditions for the optimality of a pricing rule that charges out service resources at their marginal capacity cost. We examine the issue of budgetary balance and find that net-value maximization entails a budget deficit for the service facility; that is, the service facility should be evaluated as a "deficit center." The results provide guidelines under which the optimal magnitude of the deficit can be determined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (1990)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
delay cost; pricing; capacity; deficit;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, E. T. G., 2000. "Information and incentives in computing services supply: The effect of limited system choices," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(3), pages 503-518, September.
- van Ackere, Ann & Larsen, Erik R., 2004. "Self-organising behaviour in the presence of negative externalities: A conceptual model of commuter choice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 501-513, September.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Network Effects, Nonlinear Pricing and Entry Deterrence," Industrial Organization 0307002, EconWPA.
- Grassmann, Winfried K., 1996. "Optimizing steady state Markov chains by state reduction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 277-284, March.
- van Ackere, Ann, 1995. "Capacity management: Pricing strategy, performance and the role of information," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 89-100, June.
- van Ackere, Ann, 1996. "The management of congestion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 223-225, March.
- Watts, Alison, 2002. "Uniqueness of equilibrium in cost sharing games," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 47-70, February.
- Jiang, Bin, 2005. "The decision-making on an in-house logistic division's operation strategies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 37-46, April.
- Benjamin Golub & R. McAfee, 2011. "Firms, queues, and coffee breaks: a flow model of corporate activity with delays," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 59-89, March.
- Aktaran-KalaycI, Tûba & Ayhan, Hayriye, 2009. "Sensitivity of optimal prices to system parameters in a steady-state service facility," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 193(1), pages 120-128, February.
- Bertrand, J. Will M. & van Ooijen, Henny P.G., 2012. "The capacity investment decision for make-to-order production systems with demand rate control," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 272-283.
- Ray, Saibal & Jewkes, E. M., 2004. "Customer lead time management when both demand and price are lead time sensitive," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 153(3), pages 769-781, March.
- Arun Sundararajan, 2003. "Nonlinear pricing of information goods," Industrial Organization 0307003, EconWPA.
- So, Kut C. & Song, Jing-Sheng, 1998. "Price, delivery time guarantees and capacity selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 28-49, November.
- Jayaswal, Sachin & Jewkes, Elizabeth & Ray, Saibal, 2011. "Product differentiation and operations strategy in a capacitated environment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(3), pages 716-728, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.