Are Risk-Attitudes Related Across Domains and Response Modes?
AbstractThis paper examines experimentally the nature of people's risk-attitudes across different payoff domains and response modes. Only simple gambles are examined, entailing just two monetary outcomes. The main issue of interest is to what extent risk-preferences in one domain or response mode predict anything (beyond chance) about risk-preferences in another domain or mode. Three domains are examined: gain, mixed and loss. The three response modes used are certainty equivalence (CE), probability equivalence (PE) and outcome equivalence (OE) judgments. In general, weak associations were found among ordinal risk-preferences within-subjects across domains, especially with respect to losses. To make the parametric responses (i.e., the CE, PE and OE judgments) comparable across domains and subjects, linear as well as utility-based risk-measures were examined. In the gain and loss domains, the linear risk-premia measures exhibited higher CE-PE correlations (within domain) than the utility-based measures. Using a multitrait-multimethod comparison, the highest correlations were found within domains across response modes. The main findings are (1) strong risk-aversion for gain and mixed gambles, (2) risk-seeking for symmetric loss gambles, although less pronounced, (3) low correlation of risk-preferences within subjects across domains, (4) high convergent validity of response methods within domain, and (5) increased risk-aversion for loss (but not gain) gambles when using real payoffs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (1990)
Issue (Month): 12 (December)
risk-attitude; expected utility theory; response mode effects;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mohammed Abdellaoui & Han Bleichrodt & Olivier L’Haridon, 2008. "A tractable method to measure utility and loss aversion under prospect theory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 245-266, June.
- Wei Lim & Joo Lee-Partridge & Soo Tan, 2008. "Revenue implication of auction value in k-price sealed-bid auctions: An experimental study," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 25-38, March.
- Nathalie Etchart-Vincent & Olivier l’Haridon, 2011.
"Monetary incentives in the loss domain and behavior toward risk: An experimental comparison of three reward schemes including real losses,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 61-83, February.
- Nathalie Etchart-Vincent & Olivier L'Haridon, 2011. "Monetary incentives in the loss domain and behavior toward risk: An experimental comparison of three reward schemes including real losses," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00742027, HAL.
- Ola Andersson & Håkan J. Holm & Jean-Robert Tyran & Erik Wengström, 2013.
"Deciding for Others Reduces Loss Aversion,"
13-09, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Andersson, Ola & Holm, Håkan J. & Tyran, Jean-Robert & Wengström, Erik, 2013. "Deciding for Others Reduces Loss Aversion," Working Papers 2013:30, Lund University, Department of Economics.
- Andersson, Ola & Holm, Håkan J. & Tyran, Jean-Robert & Wengström, Erik, 2013. "Deciding for Others Reduces Loss Aversion," Working Paper Series 976, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Fausti, Scott W. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2006.
"Measuring risk attitude of agricultural producers using a mail survey: how consistent are the methods?,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), June.
- Scott Fausti & Jeffrey Gillespie, 2006. "Measuring risk attitude of agricultural producers using a mail survey: how consistent are the methods?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(2), pages 171-188, 06.
- P Brooks & H Zank, 2004. "Attitudes on Gain and Loss Lotteries: A Simple Experiment," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0402, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Baucells, Manel & Rata, Cristina, 2004. "Framing and stakes: A survey study of decisions under uncertainty," IESE Research Papers D/568, IESE Business School.
- Manel Baucells & Antonio Villasís, 2010. "Stability of risk preferences and the reflection effect of prospect theory," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 193-211, February.
- Cary Deck & Jungmin Lee & Javier Reyes, 2010. "Personality and the Consistency of Risk Taking Behavior: Experimental Evidence," Working Papers 10-17, Chapman University, Economic Science Institute.
- Amit Saini & Kelly Martin, 2009. "Strategic Risk-Taking Propensity: The Role of Ethical Climate and Marketing Output Control," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 90(4), pages 593-606, December.
- Christopher Schwand & Rudolf Vetschera & Lea Wakolbinger, 2010. "The influence of probabilities on the response mode bias in utility elicitation," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 69(3), pages 395-416, September.
- Peter Brooks & Simon Peters & Horst Zank, 2011. "Risk Behaviour for Gain, Loss and Mixed Prospects," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1123, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Pahlke, Julius & Strasser, Sebastian & Vieider, Ferdinand M., 2010. "Responsibility Effects in Decision Making under Risk," Discussion Papers in Economics 12115, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Vieider, Ferdinand M. & Truong, Nghi & Martinsson, Peter & Pham Khanh Nam & Martinsson, Peter, 2013. "Risk preferences and development revisited: A field experiment in Vietnam," Discussion Papers, WZB Junior Research Group Risk and Development SP II 2013-403, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Brown Kruse, Jamie & Thompson, Mark A., 2001. "A comparison of salient rewards in experiments: money and class points," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 113-117, December.
- Peter Brooks & Horst Zank, 2005. "Loss Averse Behavior," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 301-325, December.
- Deck, Cary & Lee, Jungmin & Reyes, Javier A. & Rosen, Christopher C., 2013. "A failed attempt to explain within subject variation in risk taking behavior using domain specific risk attitudes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 87(C), pages 1-24.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.