Mean Lower Partial Moment Valuation and Lognormally Distributed Returns
AbstractIn this paper we develop a capital asset pricing model in a mean lower partial moment framework. Specifically, we show that when partial moments are computed about the expected risky portfolio return, optimal portfolio choice in a mean lower partial framework permits a two-fund portfolio separation between a riskless asset and a "market" portfolio of risky assets. In this new framework, risk is measured as semideviation (for second degree stochastic dominance), and semivariance (for third degree stochastic dominance). Further, when security returns are lognormally distributed and "small risk," this new mean lower partial moment valuation specializes to the mean-logarithmic variance capital asset pricing model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 34 (1988)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
mean; partial; moment; valuation;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Demirer, Riza & Lien, Donald & Shaffer, David R., 2005. "Comparisons of short and long hedge performance: the case of Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 51-66, February.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2012.
"Hedging effectiveness under conditions of asymmetry,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 135-147, February.
- Cotter, John & Hanly, James, 2007. "Hedging Effectiveness under Conditions of Asymmetry," MPRA Paper 3501, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011. "Hedging Effectiveness under Conditions of Asymmetry," Working Papers 200843, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- John Cotter & Jim Hanly, 2011. "Hedging Effectiveness under Conditions of Asymmetry," Papers 1103.5411, arXiv.org.
- Demirer, Riza, 2013. "Can advanced markets help diversify risks in frontier stock markets? Evidence from Gulf Arab stock markets," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 77-98.
- Grootveld, Henk & Hallerbach, Winfried, 1999. "Variance vs downside risk: Is there really that much difference?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 304-319, April.
- Demirer, Riza & Lien, Donald, 2003. "Downside risk for short and long hedgers," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 25-44.
- S. M. Sunoj & S. S. Maya, 2008. "The role of lower partial moments in stochastic modeling," Metron - International Journal of Statistics, Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(2), pages 223-242.
- Ba Chu, 2012. "Large deviations estimation of the windfall and shortfall probabilities for optimal diversified portfolios," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 97-122, February.
- Korn, Olaf & Schröder, Michael & Szczesny, Andrea & Winschel, Viktor, 1996. "Risikomessung mit Shortfall-Maßen: Das Programm MAMBA - Metzler Asset Management Benchmark Analyser," ZEW Dokumentationen 96-09, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Lee, Sang-Hak & Yang, Seung-Ryong, 2000. "The Minimum Semi-Variance Hedge For Food Manufacturers In Korea," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21867, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schröder, Michael, 1996. "Value at risk: proposals on a generalization," ZEW Discussion Papers 96-12, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Hildebrandt, Patrick & Knoke, Thomas, 2009. "Optimizing the shares of native tree species in forest plantations with biased financial parameters," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(11), pages 2825-2833, September.
- Lien, Donald & Tse, Yiu Kuen, 2001. "Hedging downside risk: futures vs. options," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 159-169.
- Clasen, Christian & Griess, Verena C. & Knoke, Thomas, 2011. "Financial consequences of losing admixed tree species: A new approach to value increased financial risks by ungulate browsing," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 503-511, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.