Batching to Minimize Flow Times on One Machine
AbstractMachine sequencing formulations typically assume that the characteristics of the job set to be processed are given. However, in many applications, jobs can be batched in different ways. Two types of minimum flow-time sequencing problems with lot sizing are formulated. The "item-flow" formulation is solved giving an index rule for ordering items. The "batch-flow" formulation is solved for the single product case showing that processing is done in unequal batches ordered in decreasing size. Heuristics and bounds are provided for the multiproduct case.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 33 (1987)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
production/scheduling; lot-sizing: closed shop; deterministic models;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grundel, Soesja & Çiftçi, Barış & Borm, Peter & Hamers, Herbert, 2013.
"Family sequencing and cooperation,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 414-424.
- Lambrecht, Marc R. & Vandaele, Nico J., 1996. "A general approximation for the single product lot sizing model with queueing delays," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 73-88, November.
- Liaee, Mohammad Mehdi & Emmons, Hamilton, 1997. "Scheduling families of jobs with setup times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 165-176, September.
- Ching, Chung Yaw & Liao, Ching-Jong & Wu, Chutao John, 1997. "Batching to minimize total production time for two part types," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 63-72, January.
- Bruggemann, Wolfgang & Jahnke, Hermann, 2000. "The discrete lot-sizing and scheduling problem: Complexity and modification for batch availability," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(3), pages 511-528, August.
- Lin, B. M. T. & Jeng, A. A. K., 2004. "Parallel-machine batch scheduling to minimize the maximum lateness and the number of tardy jobs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 121-134, September.
- Chung-Lun Li & Chung-Yee Lee, 1997. "Scheduling with agreeable release times and due dates on a batch processing machine," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 564-569, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.