The Multiregion Dynamic Capacity Expansion Problem: An Improved Heuristic
AbstractWe consider the problem of determining a schedule of capacity expansions for m producing regions and a schedule of shipments from the regions to n markets so as to meet market demands over a T-period planning horizon at minimum discounted capacity expansion and shipment costs. The proposed algorithm permits capacity expansion costs to be arbitrary nonnegative increasing functions of the expansion amounts, but the shipment (and production) costs are restricted to be proportional to the amounts shipped. The algorithm does not require market demands to be increasing over time. The cost functions are allowed to be nonstationary and the possibility of imports is considered. The proposed heuristic algorithm improves on feasible solutions by simultaneously reassigning several capacity expansions to different regions and/or time periods. A look-ahead feature prevents the algorithm from becoming myopic and a self-learning feature dynamically updates computational parameters. The heuristic algorithm was tested on both randomly generated and real-life based problems with m \le 15, and n \le 15 and T \le 25. The test problems had increasing market demands, capacity expansion costs specified in the form of a concave power function or a fixed charge plus linear function, stationary costs (aside from a constant discount factor), and no imports. Results indicate that for the class of problems tested, the heuristic algorithm is computationally efficient and provides solutions that are closer to optimum than those obtained by previous algorithms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 32 (1986)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
facilities/equipment planning: capacity expansion; heuristics;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Albareda-Sambola & Antonio Alonso-Ayuso & Laureano Escudero & Elena Fernández & Yolanda Hinojosa & Celeste Pizarro-Romero, 2010. "A computational comparison of several formulations for the multi-period incremental service facility location problem," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 62-80, July.
- Andre, F.J. & Velasco, F. & Gonzalez, L., 2004.
"Intertemporal and Spatial Location of Disposal Facilities,"
2004-30, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Francisco André & Francisco Velasco & Luis Gonzalez-Abril, 2009. "Intertemporal and spatial location of disposal facilities," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 23-49, March.
- Francisco J. André & Francisco Velasco & Luis González, 2004. "Intertemporal and Spatial Location of Disposal Facilities," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/74, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- F. Velasco & F.J. AndrÃ©, 2004. "Intertemporal and Spatial Location of Disposal Facilities," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 153, Society for Computational Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.