User Involvement and MIS Success: A Review of Research
AbstractUser involvement in the design of computer-based information systems is enthusiastically endorsed in the prescriptive literature. However determining when and how much, or even if, user involvement is appropriate are questions that have received inadequate research attention. In this paper research that examines the link between user involvement and indicators of system success is reviewed. The authors find that much of the existing research is poorly grounded in theory and methodologically flawed; as a result, the benefits of user involvement have not been convincingly demonstrated. Until higher quality studies are completed intuition, experience, and unsubstantiated prescriptions will remain the practitioner's best guide to the determination of appropriate levels and types of user involvement; these will generally suggest that user involvement is appropriate for unstructured problems or when user acceptance is important. In order to foster higher quality integrated research and to increase understanding of the user involvement-system success relationship, the authors present the following: a conceptual framework into which previous research has been mapped that can provide direction to future efforts; a review of existing measures of user involvement and system success; a set of variables that have been proposed as potentially impacting the relationship between user involvement and system success.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 30 (1984)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
user involvement; participative decision making; information systems;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Soderstrom, Naomi & Willis, Veronda & Wu, Anne, 2010. "Behavioral changes following the collaborative development of an accounting information system," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 222-237, February.
- Au, Norman & Ngai, Eric W. T. & Cheng, T. C. Edwin, 2002. "A critical review of end-user information system satisfaction research and a new research framework," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 451-478, December.
- Gelderman, Maarten, 1997. "The relation between user information satisfaction, usage of management support systems and performance," Serie Research Memoranda 0043, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Arunachalam, Vairam, 2004. "Electronic data interchange: an evaluation of alternative organizational forms," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 227-241.
- Gary Fleischman & Kenton Walker & Eric Johnson, 2010. "A field study of user versus provider perceptions of management accounting system services," International Journal of Accounting and Information Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 18(3), pages 252-285, September.
- Wang, Jing & Hu, Michael Y. & Shanker, Murali, 2012. "Human agency, social networks, and FOSS project success," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 977-984.
- Imran Currim & Vijay Gurbaxani & James LaBelle & Jooseop Lim, 2006. "Perceptual structure of the desired functionality of internet-based health information systems," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 151-170, May.
- K. Jin & Ronald Drozdenko, 2010. "Relationships among Perceived Organizational Core Values, Corporate Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Organizational Performance Outcomes: An Empirical Study of Information Technology Professionals," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 92(3), pages 341-359, March.
- Moez Bellaaj, 2008. "Technologies De L'Information Et Performance Organisationnelle : Différentes Approches D'Évaluation," Post-Print halshs-00522342, HAL.
- Gruner, Kjell E. & Homburg, Christian, 2000. "Does Customer Interaction Enhance New Product Success?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 1-14, July.
- Frambach, Ruud T. & Schillewaert, Niels, 2002. "Organizational innovation adoption: a multi-level framework of determinants and opportunities for future research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 163-176, February.
- Bruggen, G.H. van & Wierenga, B., 2005. "When are CRM Systems Successful? The Perspective of the User and of the Organization," Research Paper ERS-2005-048-MKT, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Bhimani, Alnoor, 2003. "A study of the emergence of management accounting system ethos and its influence on perceived system success," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 523-548, August.
- Teng, J. T. C. & Grover, V. & Fiedler, K. D., 1996. "Developing strategic perspectives on business process reengineering: From process reconfiguration to organizational change," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 271-294, June.
- Kakati, M., 1997. "Strategic evaluation of advanced manufacturing technology," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 141-156, November.
- Hunton, James E. & Gibson, Dana, 1999. "Soliciting user-input during the development of an accounting information system: investigating the efficacy of group discussion," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 597-618, October.
- Sahin, Izzet & Zahedi, Fatemeh (Mariam), 2000. "Optimal policies under risk for changing software systems based on customer satisfaction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 175-194, May.
- Karine Gauche & Ariel Eggrickx, 2012. "Pilotage de la recherche à l'université: premiers résultats d'une étude de cas enchâssés," Post-Print hal-00766939, HAL.
- Segars, A. H., 1997. "Assessing the unidimensionality of measurement: a paradigm and illustration within the context of information systems research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 107-121, February.
- Vetschera, Rudolf & Walterscheid, Heinz, 1993. "A process-oriented framework for the evaluation of managerial support systems," Discussion Papers, Series 1 264, University of Konstanz, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.