Coordinated Replenishments in a Multi-Item Inventory System with Compound Poisson Demands
AbstractIn many practical applications or multi-item inventory systems significant economies of scale can be exploited when coordinating replenishment orders for groups of items. This paper considers a continuous review multi-item inventory system with compound Poisson demand processes; excess demands are backlogged and each replenishment requires a lead time. There is a major setup cost associated with any replenishment of the family of items, and a minor (item dependent) setup cost when including a particular item in this replenishment. Moreover there are holding and penalty costs. We present an algorithm which searches for a simple coordinated control rule minimizing the long-run average cost per unit time subject to a service level constraint per item on the fraction of demand satisfied directly from on-hand inventory. This algorithm is based on a heuristic decomposition procedure and a specialized policy-iteration method to solve the single-item subproblems generated by the decomposition procedure. The model applies to multi-location inventory systems with similar cost structures for coordinated deliveries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 30 (1984)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
multi-item inventory systems; coordinated replenishments; compound Poisson demand processes; service level constraint; policy-iteration algorithm;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:2097026 is not listed on IDEAS
- J.B.G. Frenk & M.J. Kleijn & R. Dekker, 1997. "An Efficient Algorithm for a Generalized Joint Replenishment Problem," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-026/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Kiesmüller, G.P., 2009. "A multi-item periodic replenishment policy with full truckloads," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1), pages 275-281, March.
- Tsai, Chieh-Yuan & Tsai, Chi-Yang & Huang, Po-Wen, 2009. "An association clustering algorithm for can-order policies in the joint replenishment problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 30-41, January.
- Melchiors, Philip, 2002. "Calculating can-order policies for the joint replenishment problem by the compensation approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(3), pages 587-595, September.
- Schultz, Helle & Johansen, Soren Glud, 1999. "Can-order policies for coordinated inventory replenishment with Erlang distributed times between ordering," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 113(1), pages 30-41, February.
- Wijnmalen, Diederik J. D. & Hontelez, Jan A. M., 1997. "Coordinated condition-based repair strategies for components of a multi-component maintenance system with discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 52-63, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.