Discrete Approximations of Probability Distributions
AbstractPractical limits on the size of most probabilistic models require that probability distributions be approximated by a few representative values and associated probabilities. This paper demonstrates that methods commonly used to determine discrete approximations of probability distributions systematically underestimate the moments of the original distribution. A new procedure based on gaussian quadrature is developed in this paper. It can be used to decrease the error in the approximation to any desired level.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 29 (1983)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
decision analysis; approximations; approximate probability distributions;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- David Abler & Adrián Rodríguez & James Shortle, 1999. "Parameter Uncertainty in CGE Modeling of the Environmental Impacts of Economic Policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 75-94, July.
- Tanaka, Ken’ichiro & Toda, Alexis Akira, 2013. "Discrete approximations of continuous distributions by maximum entropy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 118(3), pages 445-450.
- Horan, Richard D. & Claassen, Roger & Cooper, Joseph C., 2000. "Environmental Risk And Agri-Environmental Policy Design," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21827, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Peck, Dannele E. & Adams, Richard M., 2007. "The persistence of drought impacts across growing seasons: a dynamic stochastic analysis," 101st Seminar, July 5-6, 2007, Berlin Germany 9253, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- DeVuyst, Eric A. & Preckel, Paul V., 1997. "Sensitivity analysis revisited: A quadrature-based approach," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 175-185, April.
- Peck, Dannele E. & Adams, Richard M., 2010. "Farm-level impacts of prolonged drought: is a multiyear event more than the sum of its parts?," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 54(1), March.
- Dasheng Ji & B. Brorsen, 2011. "A recombining lattice option pricing model that relaxes the assumption of lognormality," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 349-367, October.
- Ji, Dasheng & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2000. "Increasing The Accuracy Of Option Pricing By Using Implied Parameters Related To Higher Moments," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18945, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Griffith, Marnie & Codner, Gary & Weinmann, Erwin & Schreider, Sergei, 2009. "Modelling hydroclimatic uncertainty and short-run irrigator decision making: the Goulburn system," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 53(4), December.
- Liu, Songquan & Moskowitz, Herbert & Plante, Robert & Preckel, Paul V., 2002. "Product and process yield estimation with Gaussian quadrature (GQ) reduction: Improvements over the GQ full factorial approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(3), pages 655-669, August.
- Wall, A.D. & Worthington, D.J., 2007. "Time-dependent analysis of virtual waiting time behaviour in discrete time queues," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 482-499, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.